Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Fox Trouble need diagram

Well had some bad luck. About 8 years ago I bought a set of 16 ga. barrels to be fitted on my Sterlingworth 20 ga.. Kept getting the stall from the gunsmith, but for about last 5 years it was almost done.

Today I got the action all taken apart with parts in a box. The story was he destroyed the first set of barrels by running a reamer through the side of the right barrel. He did get a set of barrels for me which look surprizingly crude like the originals I gave him. He was unable to figure out how to put the action back together and did not have a clue where the parts were to go.

The trigger plate had been chewed up with some sort of drill. It was done in his shop, but he says it came that way, which was not true.

Gave the guy money up front over $1,200. He claims he can't pay anything back, and he is no longer able to see, plus his back hurts.

Obviously, he has not been straight with me about anything, and one thing after another just did not add up with his story.

Does anyone know where I can get an exploded diagram of the Ansley H. Fox action, so I can begin some sort of attempt to put the pieces, that are there, back together in order to get the gun back to its original 20 ga. state of being?

Obviously a bad day.

I'm beginning to think he did nothing except take the gun apart. Then just set it aside always intending to eventually get to it. Then later just realized. I think he made up the story about the ruined barrels, otherwise he perhaps would have shown them to me.

troop
    justice is random, but my heros have always been old war marines and smokejumpers.

Eagle

Re: Fox Trouble need diagram

Troop i feel for you,if we lived close by i could put it together in a few minutes! Go to Fox collectors site and there are instruction there to assemble a Fox. Bobby

Eagle

Thanks Bobby, I tried searching for Fox Sterlingworth, gun parts and all that and Fox Collectors did not come up.

It will be another education. Also there was a guy somewhere out there that was supposedly fitting those spare barrels to the 20 ga. actions. I called him up, but chose unwisely by letting my local gunsmith do it, because he wanted so much to do the project.

The fellow I talked to who was doing a lot of those fitting jobs said he'd do it for $300.00....boy what a mistake. If anyone happens to see this and knows the guy, please pipe in and let me know who he is, where he is and his phone #.

Thanks again Bobby
    justice is random, but my heros have always been old war marines and smokejumpers.

Eagle

Troop,
    Your bad experience is not something most owners go thru that is for sure, however after you check the parts out and make sure you have them all, I do suggest you use a real Master Gun Maker to fully eliminate your problems and rebuild the gun correctly. I always recommend either Rich Painter in Economy, Pa 724-266-0232 or Freddie Brunner in Escondido, Ca 760-738-8413. They are the only people who work on my L.C. Smith shotguns, both are real pros.
    Either of these Master Gun Makers will do an outstanding job on your Fox.
    RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle

Don't leave out Dewey Vicknair in PA. He specializes in Fox and other older SXS's. He reworked the internals on my 1919 Sterlingworth and was a pleasure to do business with. Quick service, good communication and what I thought was a fair price.

www.vicknairrestorations.com
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.

Eagle

Thanks for the replies, but check out this.

Tony Galazan wrote me a personal email saying simply:

Why don't you send me the parts, I'll put it all together for you, and get it working for you. I won't charge you anything except shipping

signed, Tony Galazan

I find the personal note from a guy who has many other serious irons in the fire quite uplifting to take a few minutes of his time to offer a kind jesture merely, because he has the capability to do this sort of good deed.

I was greatly dissappointed yesterday, but incredibly inspired by the outright goodness of American citizens who are just kind and decent people.

troop

Eagle

Class, like cream, always rises to the top!
    B.C.

Eagle

Troop

There are a number of rough finished Fox barrels floating around out there. Many of these came from Mitzi Belen's (a former Fox employee) collection of parts gleaned when Savage shut down Fox production many years ago. A fellow in Michigan had them and was offering them for sale. I bought a 30" set of barrels in 16 gauge. The first ones he sent arrived mangled and were returned. He sent me a second set. Dennis Potter in WI worked on them, then gave up saying that they would never fit properly. He felt that they might be factory parts from the reject bin.

I went through a great deal of time and expense to assemble barrels, a second set of factory forend metal, cocking slides, etc. The project to fit a second set of barrels to my Fox 16 never bore fruit and I sold the parts some years ago. I hope that your experience is better.

You have provided an excellent example of why I will entrust the service of my good guns to only two smiths - who I am absolutely certain will do the job properly.

I currently have a Fox C grade being returned from Dennis Potter - I trust him and recommend him highly.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.

Eagle

I'm not familiar with Fox's, but if the frame sizes are different between a 20 ga. and a 16 ga., then the firing pins center to center distance will be different and might not strike the primer right.
    Has anybody measured the two to see?
    I was born at night....but not last night!

Eagle

Fox 16 and 20 gauge guns were built on the same frame.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.