Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Class

golden rod port/gun safe

My Winchester gun safe has hole for dehumidifier(goldenrod)--does this compromise as fire damage problem?--never thought about it!---till friend talked to Holland? safe people. Need replies--may have to close hole with JB Weld OLdduck Hunter
    60's quail hunter turned duck hunter,nostalgia,proper respect for hunting and what it is all about

Eagle

Re: golden rod port/gun safe

ODH, Go to a local electrical, or construction contractor type store. They sell fire rated caulking. We use it to seal holes around wires, conduits, plumbing,ect. were fire rated walls are penetrated. I'm sure it would work to plug a small opening in a safe.

Eagle

Fire caulk is OK if you are running a wire through the hole, but if the hole is empty, a better solution is to just put a short bolt and nut in it with washers big enough to cover the hole's edges. You can always put a dab of fire caulk between the washers.

My local fire chief has assured me, and, offered up photographic evidence, that demonstrates that in a typical, good, ripping house fire, the notion of a safe having any fire protection for the contents is all in your head.

Best,
    Ted
    The second woe is past; and, behold, the third woe cometh quickly.

Eagle

the notion of a safe having any fire protection for the contents is all in your head.
    Sad, but mostly true.

Eagle

You have to do all you can do. Not all fires are the same. Modern alarms and fire fighting methods often keep fires small and contained.

First Class

Thanks guys! ODH
    60's quail hunter turned duck hunter,nostalgia,proper respect for hunting and what it is all about

First Class

side note though--local F Dept. said OK to store Ammo in safe--said if ammo let loose , by that time all else would be destroyed

Life

I disagree about being safe to store ammunition in the gun safe.... I am sure a couble of odd boxes would not be an issue but large quantities of ammunition and loading supplies should not be stored in a locked cabinet that will not vent!

Lyman reloading manuals and others give good information for storing ammuniton.

During a fire if the ammunition and powder is not contained it will burn spectacularly but should not create flying shrapnel or debri!

Eagle

I've seen Browning safes with a hole drilled at the top and threaded for moving it down the "line" when it's being manufactured - I believe that they plug it with a plastic cap. I have a Liberty with my electrical coming in from the back. Like others have recommended - seal it with a fire rated caulk. I'd be more concerned with keeping moisture out than fire. The idea of a golden rod is to keep the interior a few degrees warmer than the exterior. And make sure the length of the rod is rated for the interior volume of the safe.

A good friend of mine is a fireman for the city of Superior WI - station 2. Of the few safes that he's seen in home, garage, out building and business fires - the safes where the contents ended up being melted & charred as if they were baked in an oven were the inexpensive "cabinet" style safes with no heat insulation.

My insurance agent has told me that he's had more claims for the contents of a safe being damaged by water than by fire - so don't put it in the basement...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3A4FKKm ... r_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZikSlwWm30
    http://www.libertysafe.com/learnmore.php?sid=5&pid=1702
    Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?