Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tenderfoot

Best electronic ear muffs?

Trying to preserve what little hearing I have left, I bought electronic ear muffs. The kind that amplifies ambient sound while blocking your guns report. Unfortunately, it stopped working after only a few outings and directional hearing which is so important in locating flushing birds or incoming waterfowl was disastrous and disorienting.

Before I spend more money, does anyone have experience with a model that works well and can be recommended?

Eagle
    Having similar problems as yourself, I asked my 'Tactical' acquaintances, which is the best external electronic protection? The response was just about universal, Sordin.
    I purchased two pair of their Sordin MSA Supreme Pro X for myself and my wife. At home on the pistol, rifle or shotgun range and hunting. Very good fidelity and directional capability. Waterproof for hunting. Just spent two &1/2 hrs hunting doves this morning and no fit problems or hurt ears!
    Be sure and purchase the Gel cups for maximum comfort.
    This source is where I purchased them.
    http://www.srstactical.com/communica...5302*x*02.html

-Dick

I am thinking to buy the electronic ear plugs, something like the ESP models. I plan to get back into upland hunting this year and my hearing is sensitive to the gun report. I thought about using just the foam plugs but not sure if that is enough "protection". Anyone have opinions on the electronic plugs for hunting?

First Class
    I too have been looking for a set of quality electronic muffs. Have had 3 different brands and all have ended up in the trash within 6 months. I will have to give the Sordins a try.

Thanks budrichard.

If I'm not mistaken, the electronic earplugs provide less protection than foam ones -- something on the order of 25 NRR compared to 33 NRR for good foam plugs.

Here's a link to a similar discussion.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...?f=95&t=263926

The ESP digital ear pieces are suppose to cut off noise above a certain decibel. How can these be worse than foam plugs?

I am no audiologist, but from what I understand, once those electronics kick in, the plug essentially becomes the equivalent of a molded silicon plug. The plug doesn't cut off noise, it blocks noise.

I have a pair of molded plugs without electronics and they work well to block noise, but not as well as the foam plugs. The foam seems to fill the ear canal better.

The advantage of the electronic plug is not that it is the best at hearing protection, it is that it allows you to hear other things while also protecting your hearing.

The Sordin muffs referenced above are very good electronically but their NRR is only 18dB.

Here is an explanation of NRR. http://www.coopersafety.com/NoiseReduction.aspx

Read the shotgunworld thread; the last post is enlightening.

Eagle
    What budrichard said. I wear those all the time for all kinds of firearms hunting.
    "The death of hunting will come not from the largely imagined forces of anti-hunting but by the death of habitat..."--Jim Harrison

"The true patriot supports his country all the time, and his government when it deserves it."--Mark Twain

Eagle
    On paper, the Sordin muffs are less effective than foam plugs at noise reduction. I hunted with various kinds of passive plugs, foam and others, for many years. In the field the Sordin muffs are better. I would not have the tinnitus I have if I'd started using them sooner.
    "The death of hunting will come not from the largely imagined forces of anti-hunting but by the death of habitat..."--Jim Harrison

"The true patriot supports his country all the time, and his government when it deserves it."--Mark Twain

Eagle
    I have had the EAR electronic ear plugs for about 15 years now (the same electronics, but the plug parts have been rebuilt once) and wear them for everything, including meetings where I give a damn what someone says.

They are marvelous and I can only imagine what the new digitals must be like. I also have ProEar electronic muffs for really cold days at the range and they too have been working fine for many years.
    Without things people are just clever animals - Terry Prachett