Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Connecticut to end pheasant stocking program and effectively kill upland bird hunting

Well, Gov. Malloy and his cronies are at it again, if this goes through it will effectively kill a way of life for thousands of people here in Connecticut. Is a stocking program the greatest thing? No. Is it the only way many people here in Connecticut can bird hunt? Yes.

Private clubs are the only other option, but land leases are getting tougher to come buy (my club has lost three good hunting areas in the last 5 years) and not everyone can afford to join a club. There are few grouse left here anymore (heck, I have never seen one in CT and wouldn't shoot one if I did!) and save for the Woodcock flights no other upland species left (quail....gone, dove.... off limits).

If you're a Connecticut resident please contact Gov. Malloy, and your local Representative and Senator, and let them know what you think about this. I know the politico's will site "budget shortfalls" but the reality is this program turns a profit in tags/licenses alone, never mind adding in all the tax revenues from ammo, guns, dog supplies, gas....etc.
    Read below for more info.

http://www.ctnewsjunkie.com/ctnj.php...asant_stocking

Eagle
    From the Connecticut DEEP website:

"In Connecticut, sportsmen’s hunting and fishing licenses, permit fees and excise taxes on equipment contribute $6.3 million annually to the conservation and management of our fisheries and wildlife resources," said DEP Commissioner McCarthy.

Sportsmen-financed programs have led to the dramatic comeback of many fish and wildlife species and have also been instrumental in the protection and management of wildlife habitat. In Connecticut, approximately 8,000 acres of land have been acquired using Pittman-Robertson (PR) funds. The PR program also supports staff and operations to manage the 88 Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) comprising some 25,500 acres scattered throughout Connecticut. These WMAs provide opportunities for citizens to view wildlife, hike, fish and hunt.

"Programs financed by hunters and anglers have been directly responsible for restoring populations of many species, including the wild turkey and striped bass," said DEP Commissioner McCarthy. Sportsmen-funded programs have also supported white-tailed deer and game bird management, enhanced fluke and scup in Long Island Sound, and established northern pike, trout and walleye in many of our lakes and streams.
    "Through carefully planned research, management, and habitat protection, we have been able to ensure that the public has an opportunity to enjoy wildlife in Connecticut," said DEP Commissioner McCarthy. "It is important that we recognize the outstanding contribution that hunters and anglers have made to this effort."

Multiflora
    http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?a...epnav_gid=1633

Looks like pheasants released are dependent upon hunters who purchase permits and that has been declining while bird costs rise....not a good situation.
    But if the program is self-sustaining then stopping it does appear odd and will carry burdens past the loss of trigger slaps.
    Good luck.

No Grouse or Woodcock in CT ?? I seriously don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Rob
    May all your dog's points be productive & your arrows avoid all timber

Stocked Pheasants are probably the best and easiest means of introducing youngsters and adults new to the sport. It would be a shame to lose such a program.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    New York reversed the same decision a couple of years ago, so there's a precedent. But Connecticuters can always cross the LI Sound and make a beachhead on Gardiners Island for pheasants.

MG

Eagle
    Gentlemen,
    This should be no surprise to CT sportsman, I lived there when the sportsman woke up one morning and the politicians effectively stole all the Sportsmans money, in a late nights secret vote that placed all the CT Sportsmans money, into the General CT State budget/ fund. GrayDawg at one time we had serious Grouse, Woocock and Pheasant hunting in CT, especially up around the old closed down Military Airport outside of Windsor Locks. We actually had a Pheasant ticket program, where you banded each birds leg that you shot, we had 10 or 15 bands that we got with our general hunting license and when you ran out you could apply for more. Now the Politicians want to eliminate the cost of running the Preasant Program, after they have stolen the sportmans money, to build roads and do social work. CT has been stealing from their sportsman for a very long time now.
    RGD/Dave

In California, we have no government pheasant stocking program that I'm aware of. Rather, we have organizations that do it. For example, around the Yuba City/Marysville area, the local Lions Club formed a coalition with the farmers, and releases pheasants on their land (which does already have some wild birds), and then sells permits at a very reasonable price ($125 a season). It's been a very successful program for many, many years.

Eagle
    In reply to Graydawg"s questioning the lack of grouse in Connecticut, let me assure him and others it is true.
    I lived and hunted Connecticut for over 35 years. I ended my grouse hunting in Connecticut about 10 years ago because I did not want to be the one that shot the last grouse in the state.

I now live in the far northern reaches of upstate New York on the Vermont state line and there are still a population of grouse in numbers worth hunting. New York does stock pheasants....life is good.

The poor sportsmen in Connecticut are saddled with a governor who proved he was an idiot when he was mayor of Stamford....the man is brain dead and a liberal fool. I couldn't believe he had been voted in as governor. I quess that just confirms the facts that the state has been taken over by the progressive liberals.

I suggest you leave that over taxed state before gov. Dan takes every last dime you have for his liberal programs.

The Connecticut state forest system is in need of some serious clear cutting, but that might be a case of too little too late for the grouse population that is beyond salvation.

You can always go to Fairfield county and shoot deer on the estates of the super rich liberals who work in Manhattan and make more money than god.... but then again don't even try to get permission from these "friends of animals".( For those of you that are not from Connecticut....the deer population in parts of Connecticut has exceeded the human population thanks to the lack of hunting.) Lime disease it a constant problem.

I moved out of Connecticut over 6 years ago and never looked back!

Beware of all those well meaning progressive liberals who are out to end all hunting and destroy our republic!!

Eagle
    28 Gauge,
    Well said sir.
    RGD/Dave