Thread: 28ga Model 21

Eagle

28ga Model 21

I am thinking about ordering a CSMC Model 21 in 28ga and need some advice.

I already have a CSMC Model 21 in 12ga and in 20ga. The 12ga is used for driven pheasant in Scotland, SxS sporting clays competitions, and fun sporting clays. I've got 2 barrels (30" IC/MOD and 28" W1/WS2).

The 20ga has become my favorite fun clays gun! It also goes to South Dakota for wild pheasant. It has only one barrel, 30" IC/MOD. Not ordering a second barrel when I ordered the gun was a mistake. I should have gotten a 30" WS!/WS2 barrel. The second barrel is a LOT more as an add-on.

The 28ga Model 21 would be used, essentially, only for fun clays.

I'm wondering how people who own a 28ga Model 21 feel about the gun and what they use it for.
    Doug

Eagle
    Doug,
    What is the weight of a 28 ga?
    It would be for the same use as your Fox 28 ga! Quail, preserve hunts, skeet, dove, sporting.
    You have to ask yourself 3 questions.
    1 Do you have one? NO
    2 Do you want one? YES
    3 Can I afford one? YES
    Well, there you go!

Eagle
    I would be ordering a mini frame 28 gauge rather than another standard frame gun.

First Class
    Hi Doug,

I did own a standard frame 28ga 21 for about two years and recently sold it. I set it up similar to my 16 ga 21 for skeet and occasional sporting clays, but it just never felt right - bulky and a little butt heavy.

I still own (and will always own it) a baby frame 28 ga 21 that is an absolute joy to shoot. It is slim, relatively light and still has that solid, lock up feel of a 21.

Eagle
    Doug,
    I have owned a CSMC small frame 28 M21 for a number of years now. 5#13oz with heel & toe plates, 28" IC/MOD ,straight grip. Built in the Grand American pattern it is just a joy to hunt with and when you get tired and rest, ajoy to look at.
    A Winchester or regular CSMC 28 will come in about 7 #'s. Probably nice for SC or Skeet.
    I don't use it for anything other than hunting upland birds.
    I call all it "The best gun Winchester never made".-Dick

Eagle
    I appreciate the inputs.

I was concerned about the handling of a 28ga on a 20ga frame. My 20Ga is magical! I look at the bird, pull the trigger, and the bird blows up. I somehow doubt I'd be as happy with a clunky 28ga gun.

I have twin CSMC Fox DE guns in 28ga and 20ga that are my upland hunting guns. They fill the need for a quick handling bird guns. A sub-6# Model 21 sounds like a great hunting gun, but doesn't sound like a fun clays gun.

Guess I'll pass.
    Doug

Eagle
    Doug,

Just another idea. A set of 30 inch, 28 gauge barrels fitted to your 20 gauge frame, choked WS1 and WS2.

Eagle
    That idea (28ga barrels for my 20ga) makes a lot of sense, especially financially.

My main concern is that the additional set of barrels cost about 1/3 the price of a complete gun and CSMC keeps the gun for 3 months while they make and fit the new barrels. If you order a second set of barrels while the gun is being made, they are about 1/2 the cost of the "afterthought" barrels.

From what Lou tells me, making and fitting a set of barrels is a major portion of the labor that goes into making the gun so I don't feel the pricing is unfair.

Lou's traveling. I expect to hear from him next week. I'll ask him about the idea.
    Doug