Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Muller Chokes

Eagle

Muller Chokes

I have seen more and more Muller chokes in sporting clays competitions.

I ordered a set for my K-80 even thought I don't seriously expect them to be significantly better than the Krieghoff Ti chokes that came with my gun or that I will break more targets.

The main attraction for me is that they are supposed to reduce the need to change chokes. I shot with a young AA shooter Saturday shooting a K-80 with Muller U2 chokes. He left them in for the whole event. I've seen this several times where the shooter uses only one set of Muller chokes.

I enjoy shooting my my CSMC Model 21s (12 and 20) with fixed chokes for clays. Never worry about choke. Just select which barrel goes first and shot the darn things. Be nice to do this with my K-80.

Anyone had experiences with Muller chokes?
    Doug

Eagle
    Interesting. I'm all ears as well, as in my experience choke is all about tradeoffs - spread vs. density. I'll still need to be convinced there's a free lunch here.

Star
    I have a friend, an A level shooter, who switched to Muller's in his F3. He did so because he saw some patterns where the chokes delivered extremely uniform patterns - not necessarily tighter, but more uniform. Based on his experience, and seeing him break targets both with factory chokes and with the Muller's, I'd have to agree with him. Where a decent hit with regular chokes might result in, say, 15 pieces, the Muller's would result in a couple dozen. Again, it is not the tightness of the pattern, but the even distribution within the pattern. At least that's the theory, and as mentioned, it appears to be true.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by GF1 View Post
    Interesting. I'm all ears as well, as in my experience choke is all about tradeoffs - spread vs. density. I'll still need to be convinced there's a free lunch here.
    I'm in this camp. I'm from Missouri - the show me state.

I had them for my K80. They are a good alternative to Ti chokes weight wise, IF you don't have Ti chokes to begin with. I never patterned mine, just shot clays at varying ranges to see what the breaks were like. For some more discussion on Mullers, there is a few long threads on these chokes over on shotgunworld, most of them in the sporting clays section.

I tested them in my K 80 for Mr Muller. The U2 choke measured .12...and made a pattern between LM (.15) and IC (.10).Just as one might suspect. They did not produce both a tight Mod pattern and also a loose IC pattern as was once the "claim" of the Muller folks.

They are light. A little more than Ti chokes but at half the price. They do not "stay tight" and loosened up just like the other chokes I tested (Briley, Krieghoff Ti and Teague). They are ceramic coated....not infused. Infused ceramic aluminum would cost what the gun cost.

They are not magic....there's no such thing. If you'll learn to shoot , then you can put two Mod chokes in your gun and never take them out.....or you can gimmick yourself to death.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by sera russell View Post
    I tested them in my K 80 for Mr Muller. The U2 choke measured .12...and made a pattern between LM (.15) and IC (.10).Just as one might suspect. They did not produce both a tight Mod pattern and also a loose IC pattern as was once the "claim" of the Muller folks.

They are light. A little more than Ti chokes but at half the price. They do not "stay tight" and loosened up just like the other chokes I tested (Briley, Krieghoff Ti and Teague). They are ceramic coated....not infused. Infused ceramic aluminum would cost what the gun cost.

They are not magic....there's no such thing. If you'll learn to shoot , then you can put two Mod chokes in your gun and never take them out.....or you can gimmick yourself to death.
    That makes sense, jibes with my experience on clays and birds. I was born in Missouri also...

Eagle
    I got the kid a 2 and 3 for his 391 MC. Later acquired a 4. They mic as follows: .013, .019, .030. We have played with them long enough to draw some conclusions.

If I understand the argument, they are supposed to somehow move pellets from the core to the outer circle. So I do not see how they would throw tighter, even in theory. In any case, I do not see evidence on paper that pellets are moving to the outer circle from the core. Like Sera I find they throw percentages in accordance with the constrictions.

Percentages are not the whole story. When compared to my own Briley extended tubes, the Mullers do a better job of distributing pellets evenly in the outer circle, Gauss be danged. Interestingly, a Muller "naysayer" on Shotgunworld.com posted his pics with software analysis. The software analysis suggested no difference vs other makers. Yet the pictures told a different story. The eye is better than the software, and the outer circles looked better with the Mullers.

Second, Mullers do indeed clean up much easier than the Brileys. If this were the only advantage they possessed I would want them.

Third, Mullers do indeed stay tight longer vs the Brileys. This is not absolute. They do not stay tight as well as my Briley thinwalls in the Perazzi and ASE90. Possibly, this advantage is a function of "needing" less lubrication to the threads.

Fourth, Mullers are indeed light. I could care less. Kid feels the same way.

Sam
    Last edited by Samuel_Hoggson; April 4th, 2012 at 06:29 AM.

Lighter helps some people (I guess--since they swear it does). I have shot w/ and gotten friendly w/ a former Nat'l champ who loved a .012 choke in his Kolar. He had two of those and two .025's and that was all he shot. His were custom made Comp-N-Chokes....and always dirty as he!!. But they pleased him.

Choke tube selection is something that you don't want to over think, but you certainly don't want to under think it, either.

Years ago, I shot with Jon Kruger in a tournament, and he told us about his choke tube concept of just using something for close range, something for moderate rage, and something for long range. Kind of like a chef who uses either a low, medium, or high flame depending on what and how he is cooking.

The translates to ~.005 for short, ~.015 for moderate, and ~.025 to .030 for long ranges. So there you have it, 3 constrictions that cover all the bases with a minimum of thought. For the O/U shooter, that means just carrying 6 choke tubes (2 of each).

Just because a Mod choke can break most any target, doesn't mean it's the best one for all targets. And it flat isn't.

Quality shells and a limited amount changing chokes at the appropriate times can be very important when going for the HOA trophy.

I like Seminole CTs the best, because the owners are friendly/easy to work with, their product is of high quality, the CTs are easy to keep clean, and the color coated rubber bands are simple. Used them for many years. I sure hope they get the divorce issues cleared up and reopen sometime soon.
    Last edited by 3 Shots are Better; April 4th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.