Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    They can only corrupt it if you believe they do. Wait until they're gone and shoot it the way you want. For many years I shot in a league with a pretty heavy handicap that let improving shooters make all the difference while putting the hurt on the normally high scoring guys who had a bad couple of rounds. I shot for a little while with a similar squad last summer, nobody cared about their scores all that much and we had a lot of fun.
    Agree totally.

All of the clay sports have options available to shot them pretty much as you please so long as it's safe. No need to worry about the way other's wish to do so, or if they wish to keep score or not.

So are you saying that it's OK to alter the game/rules (call them "options" if you wish) in order to improve one's score?

Seems to me these "options" have taken the fun out of the sport and replaced it with an inflated ego trip.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

You've once again missed a point, Crazy.

I'm just saying shoot it anyway you wish that pleases you, and don't waste time worrying about the way others do.

Very seldom to you see competition shooters worrying about the way non-competition shooters decide to shot a clay game. On the other hand, it's not so uncommon to hear non-competition shooters being critical of the way competition guys do.

In the big scheme of things, it just doesn't matter. Enjoy the game for whatever you want to get out of it, and let others do just the same.
    Last edited by 3 Shots are Better; April 26th, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

I'll take 21 or 22 any day. Let me preface that all my targets are low gun on the skeet field. Station #2 high house is a bear low gun. The screaming singles at the end of a round are pretty tough low gun too.

I am a hunter and a pretty decent wing shot. I don't walk around in the woods with my gun mounted so why shoot targets that way. I shoot skeet, trap, 5 stand, whatever to sharpen my skills on live game, low gun. What I have found for me is the biggest reason I'll miss is a bad gun mount or mis-placed feet. What better place to practice?

But, if you want to work on straights of 25 that's cool. It' your game and you can play any way you like.

Tim

"TAW" that makes at least 2 of us who think alike. You're right, 20 dead clay birds is an 80% kill average. That's pretty damn good. And you're right on the money about not having your shotgun pre-mounted while field hunting.
    I could care less about running 25 straight. Where shotgunning really counts is in the field.
    Pre-mounted guns, swank leather shooting vests and 3 shades of tinted sunglasses don't fare well in the bush.

And most certainly a challenging shooting game has been corrupted by the need of ego hungry guys to run up scores.

Lordy. Why does everyone get their knickers in a knot over what other people decide to do?

In sporting clays, if I see someone shooting with a premounted gun all the time, I figure I'm either looking at a converted trapshooter or someone who doesn't know a whole lot about shooting sporting clays. Yeah, some shots are easier with a premounted gun, but on a lot of other shots, it's a distinct disadvantage. Either way, no skin off my nose however you want to shoot it -- I'm getting out of the game what I want to get out of the game.

Want to find out how good you really are? Step away from the skeet field and shoot a few parcours of championship FITASC. Mandated low gun start, can't move the gun until the target is visible (not when you call pull), no premounting or practice swinging, two shots at singles if you need 'em and up to a three second delay between your call of pull and the target launching.

Shoot 80 percent at that game and you've done something.

Wanna really find out how good you are...go Dove hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by birdshooter View Post

Want to find out how good you really are? Step away from the skeet field and shoot a few parcours of championship FITASC. Mandated low gun start, can't move the gun until the target is visible (not when you call pull), no premounting or practice swinging, two shots at singles if you need 'em and up to a three second delay between your call of pull and the target launching.

Shoot 80 percent at that game and you've done something.
    Agree 100% with birdshooter.

And I've shoot a lot of doves, in some tougher conditions.

Eagle
    There are quite a few skeet shooters that have no interest in hunting. Same with any of the other clay target games. Further, some that participate posses neither the athletic ability and/or the upper body strength to be succesful with any method other than pre-mount.

The good news is these are almost always very nice people that enjoy both the smell of burnt powder and spending time outdoors with friends. They are there to have a good time and while doing so, are supporting the shooting sports.

I consider anyone that shoots...shotgun, handgun or rifle...to be worthy of my respect until they give me a reason to feel otherwise.

Eagle
    It is over, finished. I broke a 25 straight this AM for a 200. Started the next round, hit the high and missed the low for a 201. Nobody misses low 1 except me!
    I tried to change the title to "skeet shooting highs", but I wasn't able to
    It was fun while it lasted.