Eagle

SportDog TEK 1.0 LT

Has anyone had experience with this new e-collar? I currently use DT. DT does make a good collar. However, I would like to have a tone on the receiver, don't really care for the display on the transmitter, and the charging ports could use some improvement. I'm pretty familiar with most Dogtra, Tritronics and SportDog e-collars. So any information and personal preference on them is not really what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance.

Nate

Eagle
    I have it and love it. I used it all last season and had one minor issue. I sent the collar back on a Wednesday evening and had a new collar back on Friday afternoon. I did not pay for any of the overnight shipping. I got it for the piece of mind and the simplicity of the GPS coupled with the ecollar one one collar & handheld..
    Trust the dog!!

Eagle
    tybo44,

How do you compare it to others you've used? What are the pros and cons?
    Please try to describe the ease of use when changing levels of stimulation and changing between settings.
    Nate

Eagle
    I have had dogtra products before the TEK. I used the 2502 T&B. The setup was extremely easy to do. I followed the basic instructions and had both collars up and running in less than 10 minutes. What I like about it and one of the main reasons I got it was to have GPS capability and an e-collar in one hand held and collar. I don't need an e-collar much at all with my dogs but the beeper was needed so I had the Dogtra collars with the built in beeper.

This is unit allows me to have e-collar functionality and the GPS capability I wanted for piece of mind when hunting in northern MN where wolves are common. The simplicity and ease of use are the pluses. The only real con I have is that sometimes it's hard to locate the exact orientation of the dog relative to me. You can see it on the screen but sometimes it's hard for me to locate them. I'm not sure if it's me or the unit that causes it but it really isn't a major issue not something I've noticed happening much. I really don't have manhy complaints about it. It's exactly what I wanted.

Another plus for me is the options for different stimulation settings. You can choose vibrate, tone, or stim. Within stim you can select nick, continuous, and even rising stimulation. I think ou can even setup a custom simulation profile where you select different values within the 1-127 level range. There are some default settings low, medium, high that establish the starting stimulation level (1-127)point initial stim setting. I use the low setting with rising stimulation.

One aspect I really like is that on the tracking page is that I can still control dogs with the ecollar without changing the screen. There are three buttons on the side for the e-collar function. The top one is dog one, the middle is dog 2, etc. This allows you to see the location of the dogs and use the e-collar without ever changing screens.

If you are looking for a lot of waypoint marking or to use it as a handheld GPS it's not for you. It is very basic and mostly shows the position of the dogs relative to you, the direction they are headed, distance from you, etc. It also can be set to automatically show the position of all the dogs positions and you on the screen at the same time. It auto scales the screen to always show them all. I have a vehicle GPS to get me to my hunting locations and already owned a handheld GPS (I don't use my handheld GPS much) so there was no need for me to have that capability in this unit.

It really is very simple and performed flawlessly for me.
    Trust the dog!!

Eagle
    Good review Tybo. You should send this to Sportdog. They could use some help in this department. I'll look forward to handling one of these new collars.

Nate

Eagle
    Tybo44,
    Sounds like a good tool, do us a favor and after two season of usage post another review, also advise us as to how much you actually used your TEK during the season for both training and hunting. Let us know where you used the collar, Pa type deep woods, plains or western mountains.
    RGD/Dave