Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

16 ga. Load Recomendation

To other 16 ga. guru's:
    I recently added a Remington 1100 16 ga. Classic Field 26" barrel with Rem Choke to my arsenal for quail and pheasant hunting. I will be using on quail in TN and KY while some pheasant and quail in Kansas. The gun came with Improved Cylinder and Modified chokes. I'm looking to add Light Modified/Skeet II choke to my bag.

Can anyone suggest a successful load for quail hunting only and then pheasant and quail combo?

Covey Rise,
    Wade
    [b]TN Birdhunter[/b]
    [url]http://coveyswehaveknown.blogspot.com/[/url]

To the world you may be one person,
    To one person you may be the world!

Eagle
    For Quail: 1 oz 7 1/2s or 8s at 1165 fps is fine for quail out of a 16 or a 20. That's a standard Field load in either gauge.

Such a big size difference in birds, there really is no idea combo but you could get by with the heavy field load of 1 1/8 oz of 6's at 1185 fps which is a slightly heavier field load in 16 ga. If you were to reload, you could use 7s, which would be even better.

It's always been a crap shoot.Which will come first the Rooster or the Quail. When hunting in areas that hold multiple species I learned long a go to always load for the largest . Personally speaking I would load with 1- 1 1/16" of 6's. Nobel Sport has been a good shell for me out of the 16 . The less you clutter the brain the more enjoyable day you will have a field and less of a chance you'll cripple..That has always been my Motto

For Quail only? 1 oz. of 8's out of a 16.

First, let me admit I do not own or shoot a 16 ga. Having said that, 1oz to 1 1/8oz is the same whether from a 20, 16 or 12 ga. These days I also do virtually all of my hunting in KS which presents the "which bird is it gonna be??" problem. Quail or pheasant?? Some times it is easy to predict depending on the cover but, often not. I hunt with double guns so I mostly load a #7 in the first barrel and a #6 or #5 in the second barrel. Covers all bases pretty well. With a single barrel such as your M1100 I would do what GSPDOG suggests---load for the largest bird. An ounce or more of #6 and your modified choke will be just fine. If you are in quail only, an ounce of #7 1/2 is perfect. I no longer shoot any game bird with shot smaller than #7 1/2, even quail or doves.

Eagle
    I shoot 7s for general upland shooting, but when hunting pheasants I use 6s. For quail only - an ounce of 8s. Moderate velocities are best, IMO.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.

Eagle
    Not real critical...I use 1 1/8-7 1/2s for grouse and woodcock both simply because that load works well out of my Sweet 16 re setting the rings and either bird will be possible when a dog is down.
    I would use the same for quail...just not copper but rather a general 1 1/8 at 1200 or so...ie, a so-termed dove load.
    As to 1 1/8 being too much for quail...that is more a factor of distance than with a reasonable choke or load....simply be judicious in triggering.
    I used 1 ounce in a 20 for the above and 3/4 in a 28 and 1 or 1 1/8 in a 12....any load is toss up and much ado about precious little.
    Use whatever....7/8 to 1 1/8 in a 16 and enjoy the day apart from fretting over load.

For pheasants, I prefer 1 1/8-5s or 1 1/4-4s in a 16....5s trump 6s on occasion, while 6s naturally work, as not much does not...small trump but trump 5s be.
    IC for quail and modified or LM for the roosters...but who does not reckon that?

You do not say if the birds of either feather will be pointed, flushed or self-flushed....it can make a bit of difference in choice of particulars as can factors such as cover, et al.
    IMO, the shot taken will make for the success...not the load.

B&P makes or made 16-1 1/16-7s, fwiw.
    Good ruffed grouse load...but, I'll still take 4s or 5s for wild pheasants.
    I prefer a large hole to let the air out.
    Raptors...the excuse for the near-sighted.

Thanks gentlemen for the comments and advise. My favorite load while chasing bobs in TN & KY is my Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga, 2 3/4 drams 1oz #7 1/2 at 1220 fps. In the Sunflower state chasing bobs and purdy birds, same gun in a 12 ga, 3 1/4 drams 1 1/4oz #6 at 1220 fps. This load for both quail and pheasants keep me from fumbling in my pocket for different loads for different birds and cover. I would like to find a 16 ga load that was 1 1/8oz in the 1220 fps range. My Benelli's seem to pattern better in the 1220 fps vs. a higher velocity load.

Also, all my quail and pheasant hunting is over pointed or birdy dogs.

In all my research, there is a large gap in factory 16 ga loads (in stock). I find heavy field loads that are 1165 to 1200 fps as described above. Then heavy loads/high brass are 1285 to 1330.

Covey Rise,
    Wade
    [b]TN Birdhunter[/b]

Eagle
    PMC ....1 1/8 @ 1255...never used them.
    Raptors...the excuse for the near-sighted.

Thorton,
    I saw that brand, but could not find any in stock. If you find some in stock, please feel free to email me.

Thanks,
    Wade
    [b]TN Birdhunter[/b]

Eagle
    I use the B&P #6 shot load in my three 16 ga.'s for WA. Palouse pheasants and California quail:
    http://aerostaroutdoors.com/catalog/...&x=-438&y=-254

Tom
    "I have more shotguns than I need, but fewer than I want." Senator Phil Graham, Texas