Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Gun?

First Class

Which Gun?

I'm considering purchasing a 20 Ga gun for pheasant and quail hunting and have pretty much narrowed the field to three choices (although I'm ADD enough -- you never know -- I could be looking at three completely different guns next week). I have a Parker 12 Ga 32" with full chokes, but it's a bit heavy for birds (the gauge, plus it's on a heavy frame with a beaver tail -- giant axe of a gun), plus a former owner had a miller trigger installed which necessitated the removal of the safety, which pretty much relegates it to the trap range.

I'm looking at the Connecticut Shotgun Inverness Deluxe, the Caesar Guerini EVO and a Parker Repro 20 Ga. You can tell by my first two choices that I like the round action Scottish look and feel, and my third choice reveals my sentimental streak (I grew up shooting my uncle's 20 Ga Parker)

Who has thoughts on this?

Eagle
    All good guns and any of them will do a great job on birds. The Parker won't have choke tubes so get one choked the way you want. Probably at least 10 other guns that are attractive and in this price range that would work as well. Choose the one that 1) fits you well; and 2) tugs your heart strings. Or buy them all!
    Have fun shopping,
    Jeff
    "There is no spoon."

Eagle
    I handled an Inverness at CSMC this summer and it is a sweet handling gun. I'm partial to SxS shotguns for birds and I like CSMC products so I shoot their Fox, Model 21, and RBL guns at birds. If you definitely want an O/U, I suggest you look at Berettas. They are highly popular for good reason.
    Doug

First Class
    Not sure if you are which flavour of the Caesar Guerini you are talking about. The Ellipse Evo is about a pound heavier that the Evo Light. I have carried the Evo Light a good bit and like it. In handling and weight, it compares favourably to my AS20El.

I too like the classic looks of the Repro. While I'm not a big fan of choke tubes, one problem you will have with the Repro is that if you go with 28" barrels, they're all choked M/F. 26" will be either IC/M or Quail 1 & 2. Most people hunting open country birds like pheasants and quail seem to prefer somewhat longer barrels, so you'd need to get the chokes opened if you don't like M/F. You might also consider a 12ga Repro. The ones I've owned have only weighed half a pound or so more than the typical 20's--just under 7#, which is not a bad weight for an American-style 12ga sxs. But you'll still have the same issue with chokes and barrel length. Not hard to find either a 20 or 12ga Reproduction for less than $4,000, and I think they're good buys at that price--if that's what you're looking for. If I wanted one for a hunting gun, I would not hesitate to have Brileys installed.

Parker Reproductions guns have known problems both cosmetic and functional. The case coloring wears off instantly and, if you have a single trigger, it's a nightmare waiting to happen....some work, some don't. If you get the later, look out. I had one of these. Once it broke, it never worked again. After two years of failed and expensive attempts to get it to work, I had Howard Miller put a single trigger in for $1,150 and sold the gun for a $2,000 loss. This is reverse engineering at it's best.

You want a gun that you can depend on and my choice would be a CSMC gun. They are all great guns that are affordable for most shooters. I like the Inverness but own a small-frame A-10 that I got for what you will pay for the Inverness today. If you want to go one step further, you might consider the A-10. Mine weighs 6 lbs., 7 oz., with 30" bbls..

If anything goes wrong, CSMC has the best and fastest repair department anywhere.
    Guerini's are an excellent choice but I would still go with the Inverness.

Personally, I wish they'd made more Repros with double triggers. Single triggers on many of the classic American sxs had problems, and Parker was no exception. That being said, MOST single trigger issues with Repros are simply a question of dirt, and cleaning takes care of it. Keith Kearcher is (or was) providing service to convert ST Repros to DT, which is another option. But if you compare the price of a Repro 20ga to an original DHE, they are real bargains. Even more so if you're talking 28ga, although not likely anyone would choose one of those to hunt wild pheasants.

Eagle
    I would second the opinion of CSMC's speedy and competent repair on their RBL, Model 21, and Fox guns. I have seldom needed service on my CSMC guns, but when I did, it was fast.
    Doug

Eagle
    ADade,
    The Parker Repos are great guns, if you purhcase a double trigger gun. I love the 16/20 Gauge combo gun on the 20 frame, simply a fine double gun to Grouse hunt with in either gauge. My buddy Ken who owns the Shooting Star Gun Shop just over the Ohio Line, invested in more than a fews of these Parker Repos, he uses the 16/20 Repro quite a bit and the gun has not lost it's case coloring. My advise is to make a deal on a fine Parker Repro combo gun in any combo you want and pass on the other guns.
    RGD/Dave

Ken with his 1st Grouse and his 20/16 Parker Repro Combo Gun, with Daisy looking on.

The above gun pictured on the table is the Repro DHE 20/16 combo gun, a very serious little bird gun on the 20 frame with DT. However the bird gun pictured just below it is the Special Order Silver Breach 16 Gauge L.C. Smith, take a close look at the size of the Elsie (Hodges) Breach work on this special order 16 Guage, and then compair it to the Parker Repro 20 Gauge Breach. Both are fine bird guns to carry all day in the Grouse woods.
    The Walnut Wood on both the Parker and the L.C. Smith make for simply beautiful double guns.

Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; November 30th, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    I agree with RGD on the Parker repro but a two barrel set will be hard to find and very pricy if found.