Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    First Class

Perazzi model # question

Is there a site that explains the differences in the Perazzi shotgun models, i.e. MX 2000, MX8, MX12 ???
    I found the Perazzi USA site............
    "For those that fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know." -Anonymous, Vietnam

Re: Perazzi model # question

Try talking with the folks at www.perazzishotgun.com and see if they can answer your questions. The MX8 is the grandaddy of the actions and all the later guns are variations on the theme begun by the MX8. The specialty trap guns are another branch of the family.

what do you need to know?

MX 8 --designed for Matterelli for the Mexico City Games of 68 (he'd won Tokyo w/ an SC 1 in 64)....still around today and the best gun for the money there is. Leaf or coil springs...drop-out triggers....everything else like you want it.

MX 12 - fixed coil springs, lighter , everything else like you want it.

MX 2000--intro'd for the 2000 games in Sydney....slightly engraved version of the MX 8....2000s is the same for the MX 12.

MX 8L--"Lusso" , SC 3 , SCO, SCO-O , SCO sideplate....etc for the more and better engraving and better bluing on the barrels.

It really is a shame that none of our hook and bullet writers have never given us a really good book on Perazzi. I would love to see the list of International competitions won over the last 50 years by Perazzi shooters.
    There is one "book" out there but it comes up short on many counts.

Cortes: I think there are 2 reasons

1. Lippard's book was designed to enhance the prices of guns he was trading in....to the point of uselessness for anyone today. + the info is so poorly organized as to make any reader question the accuracy of it.

2. Perazzi loves the mystery....for example ...what is an MX 1? Just an MX 8 designed for helice and pigeons? When did the Mirage finally die? Some say in 2000 when the MX 2000 came out....others say they still were making them in 2001-02??

Who the heck knows?

First Class

I saw a 28ga Perazzi with solid ribs that was awesome. Is there any chance I could ever find a 20 bore with solid ribs?

JMH: Do you have $9000?

If so, order one w/ solid ribs.

Eagle

Brass,

I suffer the same confusion as many others. We have some sage advisors such as Sera who are sources of information.

I did not find the advertising literature as revealing as I expected, but then I did not committ it to memory.

I have been shooting a Beretta ASE 90 for 12 years and while it still works well, I decided that I should sample another shotgun.
    One of those "I really don't need it purchases...just one I want."

I recently purchased an MX 2000/8C. I thought the MX 2000 was just an MX 8 with some engraving...but I am not sure what the 8C means. The shotgun feels great and I have acquired 3 punches with it in 3 weeks. Maybe that would have happened with the ASE...who knows or cares. I still have the ASE just in case I cannot shoot the P gun.

Anyway, I suppose we should spend more time in gun shops and journals trying to learn more about a truly remarkable piece of equipement that holds our interest.

My thanks to Sera and some others who seem to have a grasp of the facts and what we need to learn.

Dennis

Dennis, As a fan and owner of Perazzi guns, I have looked for any information that might be out there on this company. Lippard's book is the only one available and there is some useful information there. His chapter 2 is a list of the different models and what their configuration was. That book was published in 1994, so there is no information on the newer gun models.You can get the Italian Proof House code from a number of sources that will enable you to trace the manufacture date of the guns. McIntosh's book BEST GUNS and the Smith/Morrow book THE ITALIAN GUN are useful and have chapters on Perazzi. Some of the sales literature from Perazzi is good and I have various pieces going back 30-40 years.
    The good news is that there are only a few basic design differences over the years. Perazzi got it right the first time and the main variations are in decoration and stock design. I've owned both the coil spring guns and leaf spring guns and cannot tell the difference in actual use.
    One thing for sure is that when I looked at the guns being used by the Olympic contestants, the vast majority shoot Perazzi. I just have to wonder and hope that someone has compiled the competition records.

Eagle

Thanks. I may try to find the book for my own edification.

I have a number of shooting buddies who shoot P guns and they are very complimentary on them. I tried several and one in particular seemed to have the right feel, so I focused on that barrel weight. I thought leaf springs were what I wanted as my ASE has them and they have endured over 80K rounds without a problem. I have heard several knowledgeable folks say the springs are just as good, but I thought I wanted the leafs anyway.

Great shotguns for sure. However, I have learned that they do not necessarily keep my head on the stock. Maybe I got a reject.

Dennis