Eagle

L.L. Bean Over/Under guns

I looked at a very nice, well balanced 12 bore O/U the other day, may decide to buy it for SC-- cannot find anything on it in the Fiejestad book-- L.L. Bean 28" with screw in choke tube, recoil pad, a boxlock with non-automatic function top safety and ejectors, single trigger, inertia as on the Browning Superposed guns. Top barrel right breech side is marked-- 12 GA 3" Magnum Made In Italy L.L. Bean Freeport ME on the left top breech area-- L.L. Bean SIGARMS Inc. Exeter, NH

I have seen some Orvis 12 O/U guns, made by Beretta- but this is a first. Made in Italy, but Sig- Sig-Sauer is in Austria I believe. Beautiful balance, but at just over 7 lbs. I would not want to shoot any 3" Magnum shells in it.

The present owner said he bought it new from Bean's in Freeport 11 years ago and paid $1900.00 for it new, with deluxe aluminum take-down case, and 5 choke tubes, wrench, etc-- Would it be worth more in today's market- gun is like 99% as new-- bores like mirrors. Did note that when you remove the fore-arm, and then the barrels, in order to re-assemble the barrels back into the receiver, you have to push the ejector luggers back and push a locking bar, to get them close to the breech face.

I appreciate the fine input about the Remington 3200 my friend is looking into, nice gun but very heavy in my opinion. This LL Bean gun has great balance and comes up easily to the shoulder and cheek time after time, in the dry-mounting our Chris Batha endorses.
    In times of grave danger, you may walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Plummer View Post
    I looked at a very nice, well balanced 12 bore O/U the other day, may decide to buy it for SC-- cannot find anything on it in the Fiejestad book-- L.L. Bean 28" with screw in choke tube, recoil pad, a boxlock with non-automatic function top safety and ejectors, single trigger, inertia as on the Browning Superposed guns. Top barrel right breech side is marked-- 12 GA 3" Magnum Made In Italy L.L. Bean Freeport ME on the left top breech area-- L.L. Bean SIGARMS Inc. Exeter, NH
    It was made by B. Rizzini, I believe. Sigarms was the importer. Nice guns. Galazan now handles B. Rizzini O/Us.

Eagle
    It is a B. Rizzini, imported through Sig, probably late 90's, concurrent with the Sig/Rizzini SA5 and prior to the TR series from Sig. Don't know if the LLB guns overlapped with the TR series. Slightly different wood and finish choices than the Sig guns, maybe slightly nicer than the Sigs. Some/all of the LLB guns came with an aluminum factory case rather than the Sig hard plastic cases. List prices for new ones were higher than $1900, probably closer to $3K. They seem to have held their value pretty well. I have a pair of SA5s in 12 and 20. I think the LLB version also came in 28ga, but not sure.

Eagle
    It's a B. Rizzini but it was not made during the 90s as the L.L. Bean gun didn't come out until around 2000. It was made concurrent with the TR series. It was called "New Englander" and should have that engraved on the receiver in gold letters. If not, it could be one of a very few Sporting Versions that were also made. The list price for the New Englander was $1995.00 I'd guess that used value is around $1600. I have one in 20 gauge that I bought at Beans, in 2003. It is a good gun and is the equivalent of the Rizzini Aurum, minus the goosebeak forend. It came in 12, 20, 28 and .410..

Eagle
    The LL Bean New Englander is basically a B. Rizzini Aurum. They are very well made guns and handle great too. I have a 28 GA New Englander, excellent gun. The small gauges tend to be a little more pricey than the 12 gauges in the secondary market.

B. Rizzini has suffered from poor relationships with their importers (Sig, Coles, CSMC) and so hasn't taken quite the foothold here in the USA that perhaps the brand deserves. Hopefully they turn this around and play nice with the current US importer (Fierce Products).

Owned one of the Bean guns; shot a couple others. Often found at attractive prices on the used market.