Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Can the cognoscenti handle one more O/U??

We took the L.L. Bean 12 out this forenoon for patterning tests and then some 5-stand. Great performance, I think my friend is going to buy it- Another gentleman shooting with us on the 5-stand had a Ruger 20 ga. O/U with choke tubes, the stainless steel edition-- I notice then when he opened the breech to eject and reload, the top lever did NOT stay in place over to the right of TDC, but came right back with the gun un-breeched. He had to move it back over with his thumb in order to close his gun. Is this due to the Ruger design, or could there be a mechanical issue afoot? JP
    In times of grave danger, you may walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge!

Mechanical issue.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen brown View Post
    Mechanical issue.
    Thank you Mr. Brown. Could you, perhaps, be more specific? I see the ad where Ruger has now re-introduced the Over/Under, (Jan/Feb 2014 issue) and they refer to a few problems with the first series in stainless steel, as my friend's 20 bore model has. Also, even though neither of us are gunsmiths, I am wondering if the receiver is affixed to the buttstock vis a vis a stock throughbolt design?? JP
    In times of grave danger, you may walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge!

Eagle
    This happens with my CSMC 20ga Model 21 and my Krieghoff K20. My guess is that I'm not firmly pushing the lever all the way to the right. These 2 guns may also just be a tad too touchy on the lever catch mechanism.

To to me, it's not worth sending them off for adjustment. When the guns really need a gunsmith, I'll include this matter.
    Doug

Stock through bolt design. Manual with schematics are @ https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/400-OverUnder.pdf . Parts labeled Top Lever Trip/Plunger/Spring are the pieces that locks/unlocks the top lever.

Eagle
    I would not abide a double that did not engage the hold open device, when the barrels were released, any more than I would an automobile that I had to hold the door opening handle fully disengaged in order to close it. Car doors are designed to be firmly closed with only a push and doubles are designed to be closed smartly without holding the top lever.

I sent a BE Fox to Oregon to have this exact thing corrected a few months ago. Now it works as it should.

SRH

Eagle
    The do hickey is called the "trip". The spring that holds it in place is the "trip spring". You have dirt and powder residue, a bad spring, or a broken trip.

Eagle
    I had an early Fox Sterlingworth that arrived with the same problem. A good cleaning (apparently the gun's first) took care of the problem.
    "Tell me, if you can, of anything that's finer than an evening in camp with a rare old friend and a dog after one's heart." - Nash Buckingham

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by bill murphy View Post
    The do hickey is called the "trip". The spring that holds it in place is the "trip spring". You have dirt and powder residue, a bad spring, or a broken trip.
    Thank you . I found a parts list and schematic for this Over/Under on the Numrich website, and those parts are shown. Would a blast of clean dry compressed air into the breech area serve to clean out any powder residue- I use the aerosol product sold for cleaning computers. I do not want to spray an excess of aerosol lubricant into the enclosed breech. Or should he take it to a good gunsmith for a strip and cleaning perhaps?

Eagle
    Might want to tell your compadre what the issue may be and then let him assume the responsibility for such a difficult decision.
    Sport a swell cap and stay out of the Lord's way, he's busy.