Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Winchester .22LR pumpguns M62 and M62A

Lillith and I decided to add an open sighted .22LR rifle to our arsenal. An area dealer with a shooting range had both a M62 and a M62A- same barrel length, sights, stocks were a tad different, especially the forearm, longer and a bit larger in cross-section on the 62A- Same price for each. The dealer said he thought the M62A was made in 1955 from the serial number, and the M62 in about 1936.

Lillith has small hands, the older one has a smaller forearm, we shot both at his indoor range with the new CCI sub-sonic shells- and bought the M62. $475.00 for either one, seemed like a fair price to me, as they both shot quite well in our hands, the older M62 seemed to me to have a slightly better trigger pull.

Was the M62A a revised series of this pump actioned small bore rifle then??
    In times of grave danger, you may walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge!

Eagle
    Yes. The 62A replaced the 62.

Eagle
    Collectors prefer the Model 62, the 62A was available with grooved receiver for 22 lr scope mounting.
    I prefer the 62A.
    In any event, you have the one of the finest 22 lr pumps ever made!-Dick

Eagle
    Thank you both, gentlemen. I did notice that the later model had the top grooves on the receiver. The dealer offered me this later series for $425.00, as we bought the M62 from him, and I think we may take him up on his offer, and possibly have a scope mounted. If so, may I ask if there is any major difference between a scope for a .22LR rifle, as opposed to one used on a larger caliber center-fire rifle? Any possibly recommendations as to scopes and mounts, should we end up with two of these Winchester pump-actioned .22LR rifles?

After I bought the M21 Duck gun a few years ago, I found a used owner's pamphlet for sale for the Model 21 double-gun on E-Bay. Should I also look for the same for the .22LR, as to basic cleaning, maintenance, etc.? I assume you need to clean the bore from the muzzle end, due to the design of the bolt-receiver block, is this correct?
    In times of grave danger, you may walk with the devil until you have crossed the bridge!

Eagle
    The mounts are called 22 Tip Off mounts and are available in a number of configurations.
    One is individual mounts grooved on the bottom like a regular scope mount and a one-piece mount that extends along the scope. either will work but the two piece look better but cost more.
    Typical 22 lr scopes are 7/8" diameter. I have a Weaver scope and one piece mount on my Win Model 77 that I purchased new as a boy. Works fine.
    I have since graduated to Leupold 3x9 EFR scope for my 22 and 22 Hornet rifles because you can adjust the parallax for close range but the EFR will cost what your rifle costs.
    The Leupold 4x 7/8" scope is just fine for rifle.
    As an aside, as a boy with limited funds, the Win Model 60, 61,63 were just too much money, had tubular feed magazines. I chose a magazine fed(Win also made a tubular feed M77) M77 for safety of ammunition removal and semi-auto feed. The M77 was Winchester's answer to cost cutting.
    I wish I had purchased d a Model 61!
    You should be able to find an instruction/take down manual on-line.
    There are reproductions of everything out there but an original will be pricey.
    22 lr rifle scopes are manufactured to a cheaper price point and don't have or didn't have the ability to withstand recoil.
    I only use full size Leupold's now but I suspect there are some very nice 7/8" scopes out there at this time.
    One last item, 22lr scopes have fixed parallax at 50 yds usually versus 100 yds for rifle scopes. The Leupold EFR gives you the ability to vary the parallax which is why I use them.-Dick

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by budrichard View Post
    The mounts are called 22 Tip Off mounts and are available in a number of configurations.
    One is individual mounts grooved on the bottom like a regular scope mount and a one-piece mount that extends along the scope. either will work but the two piece look better but cost more.
    Typical 22 lr scopes are 7/8" diameter. I have a Weaver scope and one piece mount on my Win Model 77 that I purchased new as a boy. Works fine.
    I have since graduated to Leupold 3x9 EFR scope for my 22 and 22 Hornet rifles because you can adjust the parallax for close range but the EFR will cost what your rifle costs.
    The Leupold 4x 7/8" scope is just fine for rifle.
    As an aside, as a boy with limited funds, the Win Model 60, 61,63 were just too much money, had tubular feed magazines. I chose a magazine fed(Win also made a tubular feed M77) M77 for safety of ammunition removal and semi-auto feed. The M77 was Winchester's answer to cost cutting.
    I wish I had purchased d a Model 61!
    You should be able to find an instruction/take down manual on-line.
    There are reproductions of everything out there but an original will be pricey.
    22 lr rifle scopes are manufactured to a cheaper price point and don't have or didn't have the ability to withstand recoil.
    I only use full size Leupold's now but I suspect there are some very nice 7/8" scopes out there at this time.
    One last item, 22lr scopes have fixed parallax at 50 yds usually versus 100 yds for rifle scopes. The Leupold EFR gives you the ability to vary the parallax which is why I use them.-Dick
    Thank you Mr. Richard. Up until now, my only .22LR rifle was a Remington M550 with open sights and the magazine tube feature, as on the Model 62 and Model 62A. My grandpa gave all of us 5 lads a new hardware store bought .22 rifle when we turned 14- if we proved to be responsible. That has the factory open sights, as do the Winchesters we are buying. As an aside, I am not familiar with scopes or the term parallax, nor have much hands-on knowledge of CF deer rifles, whether scoped or not. Where we live, it is strictly shotgun zoned in the deer season, and I have a 24" slug barrel for my 12 Browning Auto-Five, with open sights. If we buy the second Winchester pump and have it scoped, the 50 yard parallax factor is fine, as it will be for plinking and informal target shooting mainly. But, just as a good gun deserves a good case, I will look into the Leupolds you recommended, and have my gunsmith mount it on whatever system he deems fitting for the Model 62A. Thank you again for your assistance. JP

Eagle
    Leupold rimfire scopes are now 1". The 2x7 is the sme price as the 4X. Consider this.
    http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shoot...fire-2-7x28mm/
    Get these rings: http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/P...lty-Rings.aspx
    Your gunsmith should be able to order correct height rings or you can easily install the set up yourself.
    As an aside, the Republican administration in Wisconsin is Sportsman friendly, we now have eliminated all shotgun only counties. It's myth that shotguns are safer for hunting than centerfire rifles.-Dick

Eagle
    Rossi of Brazil made a carbon copy of this gun....parts are interchangeable! The price you paid for your original M62 sounds like a bargain!

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Boomboom View Post
    Rossi of Brazil made a carbon copy of this gun....parts are interchangeable! The price you paid for your original M62 sounds like a bargain!
    Yes, and we paid $50 less for the Model 62A, so now we have "His and Hers" Winchester .22LR pumpguns. FWIT in passing, as I helped, along with many many others, my friend Silvio with some research on his Hemingway articles in the magazine, and his magnum opus- the book on Papa's personal firearms, I went to the chapter on the .22 rifles he and his family had. I saw pictures of the youngest son, Gregory, shooting a similar looking exposed hammer Winchester from the back of a boat--Also, weren't these older slide action Winchesters used at Summertime Fairs and Carnivals for the shooting gallery events? I believe they had a chain fastened to the barrel underside ahead of the magazine tube, to prevent theft??

Eagle
    These are called 'Gallery Models' and come at a significant price today.
    In my youth I shot many of these at fairs and carnivals. To 'win' you had to get three shots within a small triangle and I tried my best but even using 'Kentucky Windage', it just could not be done. The more elaborate set ups had small figures as targets. There was also a smooth bore shot Model. Ned Schwing has a nice series of books on these guns.
    The Winchester Model 60, 61, and 62 are a part of 'Americana.-Dick