Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Asking prices on used doubles

I have noticed that the asking prices on used doubles have experienced a 10 to 30% increase over previous 2 years. Guns whose condition warranted a lower price, in my opinion, increased as well. What is your opinion of this trend?
    The joys of shooting a 16 bore are only realized when you do it.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lacy View Post
    I have noticed that the asking prices on used doubles have experienced a 10 to 30% increase over previous 2 years. Guns whose condition warranted a lower price, in my opinion, increased as well. What is your opinion of this trend?
    It sucks. I buy 'em to shoot and enjoy, not appreciate.

SRH

Eagle
    I have noticed that the same is true of groceries. Your money buys less of everything these days.

At least in this part of the country, the used double market is pretty slow right now. High gas prices, VERY high LP prices. People keep hearing about a recovery, but a lot of them aren't experiencing it.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Lacy View Post
    I have noticed that the asking prices on used doubles have experienced a 10 to 30% increase over previous 2 years. .....What is your opinion of this trend?

A combination of new shooters or those new to doubles looking to get into the doubles business at the low end and an economy that finds the sellers wringing out their merchandise and customers both, while they can.

Jaquas has a 16 Beretta SxS that, while refinished and rechoked, has seen repairs......their prices are normally fair but that one appears, to me, to hit the 25% high range.
    But a 16 gauge in a SxS sells....that ultimately sets the prices...what sells.
    For some reason, the nickel Sweet 16 on Jaquas' rack remains unsold....no accounting for taste today.
    Sport a swell cap and stay out of the Lord's way, he's busy.

Eagle
    I was at a rather large gun show yesterday; 400 tables. Nothing was priced low and I did not see many sales being made.

I talked with one exhibitor and he told me the prices were reflective of the escalated costs of coming to the show.

I did find a Thomas Wild Island Lock that is pretty pristine. I made a standing offer to the seller that if he didn't find a buyer at his price by closing time tonight and want to leave it in Watertown, he could call me for a sale. My offer is for about 25 % less than what he is asking for the gun.
    B.C.

Eagle
    Sporting Classics magazine's daily email feature (free for the asking) had a very interesting article concerning an increased supply of high quality shotguns in a very low demand market for these guns. Reason for this and the decline in prices was the aging Boomers entering assisted living facilities, retirement homes and their final resting places for the big "dirt-nap" we all must take sooner or later. This has flooded the market with high grade collectible shotguns and rifles, while younger would be shooters seem to only want black guns and auto loaders etc. In addition today's youth seem less inclined to want to get involved in gun ownership and shooting sports thanks in no small part to their liberal education and brainwashing...."guns are all evil" is the liberal view taught in schools today".

I have not seen any of these low priced gems but if I do I'll scoop them up......but....alas I am retired and sooner rather than later I'll be facing that "dirt nap" we all must look forward to. In the interim I will continue to buy and shoot the best I can afford!

If you find a huge supply of high end bargains be sure to share the location of the horde!

Again this report was by "Sporting Classics" magazine and not me!!!

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by sd/mt pga pro View Post
    I was at a rather large gun show yesterday; 400 tables. Nothing was priced low and I did not see many sales being made..
    Ditto: Gun auctions on the internet are always,, starting price outrageous. IMHO: Seller is looking for a sucker or a dummie. Many of these guns are trying to be sold at several sites at one time, always asking excessive prices and if you notice, {never sold}.

I agree that the double gun owners are getting closer to grave. Talked with several fellows over 70 and they both reported they had a closest full of guns and haven't shot them in over 30 years, sad

Just about always the gun sales on the internet the sellers are {FFL dealers}, looking to gouge the buyer. I've purchased several shot guns off the internet from individual sellers and was very happy about the sale price. Bottom line: only purchase from individuals the dealers and pawn shops are sticking it to you, especially some of the national sporting goods stores.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Getting back to the original post, "Asking prices don't mean squat."

I'd say that selecting the source of your potential purchases depends on what you can expect AFTER you buy as well as the price. You buy from a private seller over the internet, the usual standard seems to be 3 day inspection, no questions asked return policy, but no firing and no disassembly for a detailed inspection. Which means you could end up buying a gun that looks good but might not even shoot. You may pay more buying from a reputable dealer, but if something goes wrong with the gun, they'll likely stand behind it. That's why they're "reputable". And if you want to know if a particular dealer falls into the "reputable" category, just ask on one of the discussion boards. Like here, or doublegunshop.com. You'll get plenty of feedback.