Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Blowers View Post
    Question for those of you who hunt big game such as elk or bear. Is there a rifle caliber that you prefer and why? Would a 30-06 or .270 WIN be sufficient or would you choose something else? Thanks in advance!
    I've hunted big game in the west for over 40 years and I own a number of big caliber rifles. You can't have too many. If I were going to buy just one, I'd go with the 30-06. There's commercial ammo available from 55 gr sabots (or used to be anyway) all the way up to 240 gr. Just about anywhere you go, there will be a gas station or local store that will have a box of '06 ammo if you for some reason run out or need some. It can be loaded to extreme accuracy and if you have the right loads can be just as flat shooting as a .270 but with more punch. It's been used on everything from coyotes to grizzly so it'll handle just about everything on this continent.

I'm an advocate of knowing your gun.
    Gun writers love to write about all the nuances of this and that caliber for this and that species, or particular locale. If you read all the articles you’d conclude you need 20 rifles to handle each hunting season. Forget all that. Get one gun in an all-rounder caliber and make sure it fits, including cutting the stock to get correct length of pull and pitch. That will be important if you ever have to snap shoot, and you will if you hunt much. Then decide on the best load for your hunting conditions and game. I went with 165 gr. boat tail moving pretty fast as a general all round cartridge rather than shooting 150 gr. for some game and 180 gr for others, ad infinitum. Then shoot that gun with that load a lot at varyingdistances until judging the range and where the bullet will hit at that range comes almost second nature. If you wind up shooting a lot of different guns and calibers, it can get confusing when you are out hunting, and its harder to get that 'second nature' feel and knowledge that helps guarantee you'll hit game if your shooting a bunch of different guns. That’s the most important thing. Know your gun and where it will hit at different distances.
    Last edited by banditowner; February 23rd, 2017 at 10:29 PM.

Eagle
    Actually, picking the right bullet and its construction for the game being hunted is as important as the rifle caliber. And most folks don't give it the consideration it deserves.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by BobK34 View Post
    Actually, picking the right bullet and its construction for the game being hunted is as important as the rifle caliber. And most folks don't give it the consideration it deserves.
    That is probably true, but shot placement and taking an ethical shot trumps everything else. I've seen hunting friends dump several elk on the spot with a .243 and a 100 grain bullet, but they knew their limitations. That wouldn't work for me, but a .270 with 130 grain Nosler partition bullet certainly would to 300 yards.

Eagle
    47sgs & BobK34
    Man I agree with you guys, however a .243 can be a might light even when shot well, for some big game animals.
    That is why I like the .257 Roberts, great flat shooting rifle with just enough killing power for anything here in the USA excepting maybe a Polor Bear. Still as you guys point out using the proper ammo and shooting well is the key.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.