Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eagle
    I have found WC on the same hilltop at our camp for the last 25 years. In that time all the maple has been cut leaving just widely spaced big spruce. Hardly the classic cover one thinks of but it holds birds and has for a long time.

There's a 25-30 year old pine plantation where the dogs always find birds. Its planted in rows and there is not much shooting possible but its a great spot to get a dog into them with a blank pistol. There is lots of pine planted but it all doesn't hold WC. I wonder if the attraction of both places is the quality of the ground.

The more I think know about them the more I realize how much there is to learn.

Schuey, have you looked for probe holes? The ground tends to stay pretty soft and moist under evergreens.

Eagle
    The first place is full of them. If they are there in the second one the blanket of pine needles covers them. Any ant hills close by have been probed fully however. I know the second place was farmland way back in the day. No doubt had the rocks picked and been tilled for years.

We have another stand of mature maple, again on a hilltop and ancient farmland as well that holds great numbers. The dog's objectives there are only sucker stumps, small spruce and a couple apple trees. It's a real break to be able to stand straight and get out of the alder swales!