First Class

Large Munsterlander?

Tell me about this breed. Thanks

Eagle
    QG,
    These dogs are very good German GVP Tested, companion hunting dogs. Unfortunately they have developed some physical problems here in the modern era. Make sure if you purchase one of these beautiful dogs to contact the breeder directly, and find out if he has bred his pups using a proven male (Stud) and female (Dam) that have no history of HD. Make sure to actually see the male and female parents HD testing documents, prior to purchasing a pup. The LM is a serious Roan and White German Versatile Companion hunting dog. Hunts everything from fur to feather very well, outstanding tracking and retrieving dogs. GVP Scores can run into the 300's and these particular dogs are very expensive. Most have very nice personalities, and are very biddable dogs, that become very attached to their owners. Further LM dogs were bred to be kept inside their masters homes. Like the SM dogs they do not do well when kenneled outside away from their human companions. LM's are great dogs with children, wives usually become quite attached to them very easily. I really like the LM versatile dogs, simply beautiful well behaved long legged German companion hunting dogs. However I strongly recommend the Small Munsterlander dogs to my clients, because of the LM's HD problems. Especially those SM dogs bred by my friend Dean Rasmussen at Lonesome Dove Kennels. Dean is almost my age and has cut back on the amount of dogs he is now breeding, IMO his animals are still the best SM's in the USA.
    RGD/Dave

Sorry I have no LM pictures I can post for you any more. A computer virus wiped out my old HP and the pictures with it.

Pine Creek Sampson our SM Stud Dog. If you needed a dog to produce food for the table, he was that versatile dog.

Pine Creek L.C. one of our SM's final finishing her flush on command training.
    L.C. is the Roan and White SM on the left of my brother, in the training picture
    Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; March 29th, 2017 at 12:40 PM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

First Class
    Thank you. Yes, I did some research on the LMs and now, thanks to you, will focus on the SMs

Eagle
    QG,
    The SM's are not for every gun dog lover, they hunt more like a true Wolf, the hunting style is much different than a Setter or Pointer, they come from completely different gun dog genetic strand. I love hunting with them. Make sure you pick from a breeder who does not have aggression problems in his breed line. SM's do have a guard instinct from long ago, some breed lines can be overly aggressive to other dogs. Dean Rasmussen's Lonesome Dove Kennel has produced some very biddable very talented SM dogs. Especially great for both Pheasant and Grouse. My Brother often said Sampson my male SM could sneak up on a Grouse's Ghost.

RGD/Dave

Mike W with one of Sampson's prize female pup - Pine Creek's LC a finer SM Grouse Dog a man will never see.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.