Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First Class

Poultry and/or/vs Hunting Dogs?

Wifey would like to add some poultry, chickens, turkeys whatever to our partial hectare. They would free range around the yard and buildings and kennel. Question though. Would this interfere with the bird dogs? Will they always be trying to point the poultry when the birds are scratching around the kennel? Can bird dogs distinguish between domesticated fowl and game birds?

Eagle
    QC,
    Most do not differentiate and will point them, in fact it all depends on the individual dog. With a young versatile dog you may loose a few. One the other hand, with a dog like Ripper my male Gordon Setter, Ripper knew the difference between the wild and the domestic, and slapped the domestic birds around with his front paws, and most times Urinated on them. No respect for them what so ever. He would not kill them however. All depends on the dog and training. Remember we use Chukar, Quail and Pheasants as training birds, huns also.
    Remember Turkey are a big time Game bird to a Versatile dog!
    RGD/Dave
    Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; April 2nd, 2017 at 09:48 PM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    My neighbor raises pheasants. At first my setter would point them in the pen as we walked by on the dirt road.. Later she would simply be somewhat interested. Lately she ignores them completely but will point the mourning doves that hang around looking for spilled feed. Point is that she got very used to the pheasants very quickly and couldn't care less today, but her intensity on wild birds hasn't changed a bit.

Eagle
    1) Depends....upon the definition of "interfere".

2) Always?....unlikely.

3) Yes....same as us.
    Cimino Hardware...a clear choice.

Eagle
    For sure you'll have dead poultry, if the dogs don't get them then the wild critters will. Poultry needs to be locked up at night in nest boxes. To the wild critters it's a buffet.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Quebec Grouser View Post
    Wifey would like to add some poultry, chickens, turkeys whatever to our partial hectare. They would free range around the yard and buildings and kennel. Question though. Would this interfere with the bird dogs? Will they always be trying to point the poultry when the birds are scratching around the kennel? Can bird dogs distinguish between domesticated fowl and game birds?
    I'll assume your question is real (as in really do you have a distinction between sight point and scent point) .
    The farmyard stock is farm yard stock , much like any other critter around the yard . You ain't hunting /as in does the dog already know a 'hunt command' ...like yes we are ready to work together to find scent ?..Or just strolling around the block ..or in this case 'the yard' .
    Mine walk past the Hens and the pigeons pecking in the yard . But I can 'start' a hunt .

I have a setter that loves to "practice pointing" on the tweety birds in the yard. Ignores them when we're hunting, but has fun with them when we're not.

Eagle
    Emerson, the english setter, will often point a butterfly at home but he would have to be really, really bored to do that whilst hunting.

My wonder is...why would anyone want turkeys, chickens, and other poultry roaming a partial home hectare?
    Lord...surely no one would want geese, as I have seen their....leavings on flagstone.

Leavings on Flagstone....that might make a good title for a book.
    Cimino Hardware...a clear choice.

Eagle
    go with ostriches. your dog wont chomp them and they will cure him of creeping or jumping in.

First Class
    Giraffes would work better , but that would be stretching it a bit ..and also not relevant