Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    Several people have said I need a stop watch, but truthfully, I have no clue where or how I'd use it.
    The stop watch is not unlike the clock in a football or basketball game. It is a key piece of information you need to manage your performance.

You need to know how much time you have to get a find if you have a good race going.

You need to know how much time you have to preserve a good run that already includes enough bird work.

You need to know how long it has been since you last watered your dog.

You need to know how long your dog has been gone from judgement.

You need to know when the last minutes are winding down, so that you can set up your dog for a great finish.

You need a stop watch.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Quote Originally Posted by MN Tonester View Post
    A question about what's allowed at a trial. Many hunters with pointy dog use an electronic collar. Is that allowed in a field trial?
    No. You can use a GPS or radio tracking collar, but no shock collar is allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by MN Tonester View Post
    A question about what's allowed at a trial. Many hunters with pointy dog use an electronic collar. Is that allowed in a field trial?
    Preceeding the brace, the Judges asked,"Anyone want to use a tracking collar?"

My understanding is you can put the tracker on the dog, and the Judge holds the reciever. If you ask for it, Your brace is over.

A gal from Canada with a real pretty Lemon and white pointer pup did that. Her puppy went real big, and then came back right at the end. She was quite surprised by her pup's performance.
    The hilly grounds, and the thick bands of cover can really play tricks with sound, so, it's not uncommon for a pup to be out of ear shot for a bit.

Let me tell you, your anxiety and excitement goes sky high when you can't hear the bell, and the pup doesn't come around right away.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    Preceeding the brace, the Judges asked,"Anyone want to use a tracking collar?"

My understanding is you can put the tracker on the dog, and the Judge holds the reciever. If you ask for it, Your brace is over.
    That about sums it: Call for the receiver and your brace is over.

I always sang in German. Can't stand the handler that continuously blows his whistle, I never used a whistle just because of that. Dog doesn't know who is blowing the whistle and for what reason.

I had many rides home with my son, not a word was spoken. My son mis-handled the dog and I was 9issed.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Greg, a buddy, Richard W., was likely the trial marshall and/or one of your judges. He is great people and will bend over backwards to help you with any questions you may have. He was our QF/PF rep when he lived down here, but moved back to Michigan to be close to wild birds and field trials. You probably already met him, but if you need help and haven't met him, let me know and I'll put you in touch. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Noell View Post
    Nothing strange about that at all. In wild bird trials,,, the puppies are run after everything else has been run. Normally the puppy courses are set up for running the braces as efficiently as possible. This means the courses by this time in the trial are often largely barren of birds. So they OFTEN have a winner without a find.

The puppies are judged by their athleticism, ambition, observable physical traits. There will be plenty of time to discern if they are bird finders. This is like grade school basketball, it is a long ways from the main event.

Winning a puppy event is nice enough, but no one puts very much emphasis on a dog's puppy record. Puppy events are a good way to introduce new trialers, with new dogs to the field trial sport.

Hmmm. Seems to me bird finding ought to come first. Otherwise, how does one know that a pup's nose is decent enough to discern his food dish from his poop?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Hmmm. Seems to me bird finding ought to come first. Otherwise, how does one know that a pup's nose is decent enough to discern his food dish from his poop?
    Larry, you are trolling now. On wild birds the courses have been run all weekend long, and most trials adjust the courses for puppies so that the down time between braces is kept at a minimum. That means they never get very far from the central hub of the trial.

I doubt in trials that have to put out birds, they put out many for the puppies. One, half the puppies are playing grab a$$ for some portion of their brace.Two, the puppies are judged on potential, a diamond in the rough, so to speak. Three, it is a rare dog that can't tell its food dish from his poop. Not that they are too good to recycle.

You needn't worry, successful trial dogs are good bird finders.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Noell View Post
    The stop watch is not unlike the clock in a football or basketball game. It is a key piece of information you need to manage your performance.

You need to know how much time you have to get a find if you have a good race going.

You need to know how much time you have to preserve a good run that already includes enough bird work.

You need to know how long it has been since you last watered your dog.

You need to know how long your dog has been gone from judgement.

You need to know when the last minutes are winding down, so that you can set up your dog for a great finish.

You need a stop watch.

Ditto on all above.... A quality watch with timers and bells and stuff works great. I've made mistakes on all above.

I had the stakes won, last two or three minutes I watered the dog, dog thinks race is over and rolls around in the grace, end of story... did not look at watch, real stupid. If you have a scout, hopefully the scout will take care of all above. Quality scout is worth a championship.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Hi guys,
    I am using the wifi at a McDonald's to let everyone know I'm reading this thread, but have limited access for a little while.

I hope to get him into 1, possibly 2 more puppy stakes this spring. I may not do the handling though.
    I appreciate the help. and, all the stories.

In fact, I probably enjoy the stories of dogs gone by as much as my own prattle on the matter.
    Keep it up.
    I'll make a point of chiming in most evenings as i can.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Greg, You should run him yourself. You will NEVER have a better chance to learn the ropes while the stakes are this low.