Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Junnie View Post
    That's one of the most gross things I ever saw, I don't think Andrew Zimmer would put that in his mouth.

Please, posts the Cumberland sauce.... perhaps over Northern Bob White Quail....
    Cumberland sauce would overwhelm a delicate meat like quail, pheasant or grouse. Better for dark meats like duck, woodcock or venison.

http://honest-food.net/venison-cumberland-sauce-recipe/

There's definitely shock value in that plating.

For quail, and I've shot pretty fair numbers of them,
    I scald them, pluck them, and pan fry them, lightly dusted with seasoned wheat flour. Like little chickens.
    I split them up the back, occasionally spatchcocked, and serve over a glob of sage /onion stuffing, with a side of mashed potatoes. I make whole milk gravy from the pan drippings.
    Sometimes I'll add a buttermilk biscuit to it, but usually not.

Wild quail taste like sweet little chickens to me.

Cumberland sauce is waaay too tangy for the little birds. It's made with red currents.
    Raspberry sauce is a little less astringent, and somewhat sweeter, so it works pretty well with waterfowl, pan seared, and served rare.

This plating is the woodcock with the sauce made from the trail.
    It's an extraordinarily rich dish.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Eagle
    With great respect for Greg T, I don't want any thanks...SelbyLowndes

Then I'm guessing Ortolan's are out of the picture as well then.

Some thing's in life are counter intuitive. I am always fascinated when I stumble upon them.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

I would guess that the entirety surrounding the ortolan as food, from before capture and onward, would be more an issue than the plating appeal or lack of appeal.
    A bit different process all 'round than swatting a limit of woodcock over a setter's point.

However, there is little doubt that restaurant folks would love to introduce anything that fills and turns-over seating....or allows some diner to believe that "they get it".
    Their wishes or thoughts tho, do not seem that important, to lil' ol' me.

Here's to a barely medium-rare bone-in ribeye after a long day in the shortgrass!
    Cimino Hardware...a clear choice.

Eagle
    To the rib-eye!!

Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    I would guess that the entirety surrounding the ortolan as food, from before capture and onward, would be more an issue than the plating appeal or lack of appeal.
    A bit different process all 'round than swatting a limit of woodcock over a setter's point.

However, there is little doubt that restaurant folks would love to introduce anything that fills and turns-over seating....or allows some diner to believe that "they get it".
    Their wishes or thoughts tho, do not seem that important, to lil' ol' me.

Here's to a barely medium-rare bone-in ribeye after a long day in the shortgrass!
    Slathered with mushrooms and onions and some fresh ground black pepper, and perhaps a tall glass of your favorite beer.....ahhhhhhhhhhh.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.