Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Doves and woodcock both often receive a bad culinary rap and rep.
    The cook is indeed in control...as each bird can be darn good cracker.

Perhaps, that toothsome-not rap and rep is good in areas where dove numbers cycle or trend in a poor direction.
    Who knows what follows popularity?
    Cimino Hardware...a clear choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Junnie View Post
    They are grand sport to shoot at.. But without a doubt nasty tasting things, perhaps prairie chickens will out do for flavor
    I thought you prided yourself on your cooking ability.

Doves are great.

Eagle
    My dove hunting friends relish dove breasts, cooked in a variety of ways.

Your good taste or theirs - variations in human beings.

Yep. There is no accounting for other folks' tastes or lack of taste. There are numerous wonderful recipes to prepare doves, but (I dare say) the most popular is Dove Poppers. That is a popular way to end opening day and also solve the "possession limit" requirement. I've never met anyone who did not relish dove poppers, but then I hunt with native (and a select few naturalized) Texans.
    Use enough knot!

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Junnie View Post
    They are grand sport to shoot at.. But without a doubt nasty tasting things, perhaps prairie chickens will out do for flavor
    If I could but prepare you a dish or two of doves you might well change your tune. They are one of my favorite dishes. Last winter my dove hunting buddies and I got together for one of our "dove suppers". Jay cooked 130 ......... all afternoon .............in gravy. When we partook we also had grits and many 'lesser' side dishes. I broke my previous record of 14 by consuming 17, along with the side dishes and dessert.

Doves are not just food .......... they are a delicacy. Remember, ortolan would not be so well received were it not for the meticulous preparation.

SRH

Eagle
    Stan Hillis,
    Got to admit I am not fond of the taste no matter the preparation. However my buddy Denny Boyce and his wife love the Doves and Woodcock meals, so I provide more than a few for them each year. To me even thou a delicacy to some, they still taste way to much like liver. No matter how they are prepared, I do not like the taste. I only eat them when there is no other meat on the table. Give me the Grouse any time.

Each to his own taste.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Rigiht - to each his own...broiled or fried liver is one of my favorite dishes.

Another good one - beef tongue.

Woodcock ONLY has a liver-ish taste when over-cooked.
    Prepared with minimal cooking time, i.e. rare, presents a lean beef taste.
    Cooking methods vary, of course, as do additions or cover-up flavors but liver-ish is far from a given.
    Another way to put it...one does not have to suffer for their pleasure in consuming the lil' bogsucker.
    So, let's consider not perpetuating bad info......especially for those who may never tried woodcock.
    Cimino Hardware...a clear choice.

Eagle
    I ate roasted woodcock at Rules, London, "London's oldest restaurant, est'd 1798." It was delicious.

Rule's specializes in serving game of all sorts...

For a real treat, take a look at their site, at http://rules.co.uk/

See also here:
    https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/...f&action=click

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    Woodcock ONLY has a liver-ish taste when over-cooked.
    Prepared with minimal cooking time, i.e. rare, presents a lean beef taste.
    Cooking methods vary, of course, as do additions or cover-up flavors but liver-ish is far from a given.
    Another way to put it...one does not have to suffer for their pleasure in consuming the lil' bogsucker.
    So, let's consider not perpetuating bad info......especially for those who may never tried woodcock.

Woodcock breasts are not to be overcooked. Clarified butter in a searing hot skillet with absolutely nothing else added. Sautee breasts for sixty seconds on the first side then forty-five seconds on the other side. Quickly remove from heat. Salt to taste and enjoy them with your favorite drink.

To my mind, the only other wild game that comes close is tenderloin medallions of yearling whitetail buck cooked exactly the same way. But to the venison I might add some crushed garlic in moderation.