Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Eagle
    my father wouldn't hunt woodcock saying they tasted lousy. when I finally bagged my first woodcock, whatever way my wife prepared it, it was delicious. haven't shot that many of them but I find nothing to complain about their taste. must be my wife's cooking
    "God and Soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted, God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted."
    Rudyard Kipling

You rush a miracle man, you get lousy miracles.

Eagle
    Fowl tasting things, couldn't resist the pun.......

No comparison to Bob White or Pheasant.... Sweet delicate meat. I always wanted to hang pheasant for several days like the British do, just don't think that will work for me......
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    dam16sxs,
    I must differ with you guys, nothing comes close to Elk Back Strap prepared correctly in the slow cooker, no other bird comes any where near Grouse when cooked in the slow cooker either, not even a Turkey which is darn fine eating. Some people love the Woodcock, give me the Grouse any time. The mixed wild bird meals of Grouse, Quail, Pheasant and Woodcock are darn good eating, cooked with the Red Potatoes, Baby Sweet Carrots, Onions, Celery and some serious home made fine broth.

Good Lord when do we eat!

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Mmm-Boy... Grouse stew!

Bad enough that it is a sacrilege to dishonor the grouse so - but the mere mental vision of that mess when the pot lid is removed is enough to make me want to gouge out my mind's eye.

But for epicurean ecstacy I'll take the woodcock (lightly sauteed, not overcooked in a slow cooker) over other pot-hunter recipes any day. It appears that we disagree... sorry.

How can a person appreciate the wild nutty flavor of ruffed grouse if it is polluted with all the other overpowering flavors in such a concoction as you suggest? Onions?? Celery?? Home made fine broth?? How can you ever hope to enjoy the delicate flavor of such a fine and game bird?.... What, no Tobasco? No oregano? No garlic? I must say I'm surprised.

Eagle
    Two things come to mind -

Different strokes for different folks...

And, from my long-serving ancestor, "Different ships, different long splices."

Quote Originally Posted by dam16sxs View Post
    Mmm-Boy... Grouse stew!

Bad enough that it is a sacrilege to dishonor the grouse so - but the mere mental vision of that mess when the pot lid is removed is enough to make me want to gouge out my mind's eye.

But for epicurean ecstacy I'll take the woodcock (lightly sauteed, not overcooked in a slow cooker) over other pot-hunter recipes any day. It appears that we disagree... sorry.

How can a person appreciate the wild nutty flavor of ruffed grouse if it is polluted with all the other overpowering flavors in such a concoction as you suggest? Onions?? Celery?? Home made fine broth?? How can you ever hope to enjoy the delicate flavor of such a fine and game bird?.... What, no Tobasco? No oregano? No garlic? I must say I'm surprised.
    The only thing you left out that everybody craves these days is .........CHEESE!!!!!
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    I'm waiting to read that Mahler should be the background accompaniment to a proper dining experience of a properly prepared, properly cooked and properly savored gamebird.
    With the day toasted, mebbe, with a glass of Rioja properly reflecting the candlelight.

While a CrockPot and squirrel works well...it does seem a bit much with Bonasa U....what follows the meal....a mud pit or a poker run?
    I vote to give half of the days in August to October.

Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    With the day toasted, mebbe, with a glass of Rioja properly reflecting the candlelight.
    Burgundy, you philistine.

Eagle
    Oh...ok.
    Perhaps a cuppa Rioja with a steaming bowl of WV burgoo.
    I vote to give half of the days in August to October.

Eagle
    Along with Cotes du Rhone, Rioja is the new Burgundy.

The first time I tasted cornbread in New England, I spit it out.

It did have a tad more taste than Red Sox fans but that's damning with faint praise.
    Last edited by Moonshine; May 5th, 2017 at 10:44 AM.