Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Eagle
    I can't buy the 1840s date either, unless it was a percussion frontloader, or very early "cartridge" gun (like needle gun, or pinfire, etc.). And it's even early for those.

Eagle
    First Krupp barrels made in 1893. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauer_&_Sohn
    Bob is right. 1845 manufacture would have to be percussion, maybe pinfire but definitely exposed hammers.

Eagle
    Gentlemen,
    In reality nobody knows the exact date of manufacturing, however Krupp may have some more historical information on when the Barrels were actually supplied to J.P. Sauer, unfortunately there is no date by J.P, Sauer SN available for their 1800's double guns. 1849-1890's would probably cover the era this gun was actually made in, I agree with Kirby Hoyt's assessment it's most probably an 1800's Sauer sidelock.

Crazy Horse,
    I actually like the old sling swivels on the J.P 16 myself, it immediately identifies the German guns in our gun cabinet or safe. Doubt I will ever put a sling on the light 16 Sauer Double Gun However.

RGD/Dave
    Last edited by admin; May 20th, 2017 at 01:08 PM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Swell news, rgd!
    Some fella on the 16 GA site just posted a Sauer serial number list from '81' to '24' that he has used for years.
    You might check there.

It looks to be the same one I saw when I was researching my Sauer.....tho the list did not apply in '53' for mine.....the dating was made easier in many ways by that point.
    I sit deep within the tall grass in order to see.

Eagle
    thornton,
    Thanks much I already have the Raimey/ellenbr Sauer chart myself, very informative documents from before WWII. Unfortunately these charts may not be absolutely perfect either.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Yes, one does play the odds of likelihood with Internet info, rgd, but those odds fall to a mid-1890s date....which is what Mr. Hoyt reckoned with his claimed 1890's date.....not 1800s.
    Given the sum of the S/N, the Krupp barrels and the design of the gun....most would find that a date in the mid 19th century when Polk was Prez. would be extremely odd....to say the best.

I saw your response on the 16 GA board re the chart ...as I saw the German collector group possibility mentioned there as well.
    I bet those folks would be willing to help in any way.
    As with the Lefever group, one may have to accept the uncomfortable.

Really tho, there is something about that Sauer that is appealing...whomever reconditioned her did a fine job in maintaining the subtle beauty of a gun that has been there and lived to tell stories.
    You may not do so, but....have you thought of naming the Sauer?
    I named my little Fox after a dead elephant named Mary.....sometimes, it just seems the right and fitting thing to do when a connection jumps up and waves.

Eagle
    I call my gun, "Gettem."

Sometimes, "Go," for short.

'Cause that's what he does.

A gelding, 'cause he keeps his mind on his business.

Eagle
    Some say that a gelding is easier to train.....so, I might consider the name, Mickey.
    Mickey Moonshine on the moor.

Well Dave, if you've ever hunted the plains of ND or SD over a pointy dog you'd soon appreciate those sling swivels. You can walk a long distance chasing Roosters, Huns and Sharpies.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    I do miss a day, or a week actually, walking that country.....would never miss a sling tho.

'Course, I never wear a belt so, perhaps, strips of leather or the like just scare me.(lanyards excluded)

Good place, insert....'each to their own'.

Last edited by thornton; May 19th, 2017 at 05:07 PM.