Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quail Video

Quail Video

Eagle
    Once again, thanks very much for posting this, the first such video of a quail hunt I've seen.

I'm particularly pleased because it gives me a valid comparison with my experiences in hunting preserve quail.

Over several years, on other sites such as this, I had posted about my hunts, only to be subjected to heavy denigration of my hunts, and even worse criticism of the flight of preserve quail, always unaccompanied by evidence the critics had hunted as I had.

Without any evidence that wild birds were "better" in any way, I had to suffer the insults silently.

I can very honestly say, after watching this film, that the critics of my hunts hadn't the slightest clue as to how my hunts compared. The quail we hunted flew every bit as well as what I've just seen. And, this has been attested to by hunters of both preserve and wild birds with whom I have hunted.

Thanks!

Moonshine, it's a fact that a lot of preserve quail tend to fly very poorly. I've seen--and shot--good flying preserve quail, but they are the exception to the rule. And I recently had a disappointing experience on a preserve where I've shot good ones before, and has had a well-deserved reputation for providing an experience that's pretty darned close to hunting wild ones. I've hunted wild quail in TX, OK, KS . . . and in IA, when we still had decent quail numbers. So I have a good basis for comparison. Replicating the wild quail experience isn't easy. It isn't easy with pheasants either, although it's easier than it is with quail.

Eagle
    LB, given the truth in what you say, with which I do not disagree, doesn't affect my comments or my experiences one whit.
    Last edited by Moonshine; May 24th, 2017 at 07:07 AM.

Eagle
    Why is the posting time in the top left corner some 12-13 minutes behind actual time, and the "last edited" time some 9-10 minutes ahead of actual time...or combining things, their is a difference of roughly 23-25 minutes between the two?

I've not ever hunted wild Bob's, nor preserve Bob's, but have hunted plenty of stocked Bob's in S. Jersey over the years.
    Now certainly they are not anywhere near wild, but what I've noticed is that generally in the beginning of the gunning season the birds are not nearly as good flyers as they are later in the season. Having talked to a biologist he said it has a lot to do with bird maturity.

The last couple of years in S. Jersey the NJ Game Commission contracted a new provider of Quail. What a difference!!! The birds these past 2 years have been really good flyers. We gunners have noticed the birds are much more mature than previously provided birds. I might add that for all the negativity spouted about New Jersey I must say they have a very good Small Game Program with great attention to conditioning of the fields and woods.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    Good to hear.

In my preserve experience, birds are typically put out no later than August, at least 60 days before hunting begins.

Eagle
    I'm curious as to why the shooter lets the dogs flush the birds?
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Junnie View Post
    I'm curious as to why the shooter lets the dogs flush the birds?
    It's just more efficient in a hunting situation. On the other hand its a fault in field trial competition. Did you notice that the pointing dogs in the video often did not have the birds precisely located? In that case, it can take an awful lot of stomping around to get a flush which always comes as a surprise. With the dogs flushing after you arrive, you expect the flush and just shoot better. IMHO anyhow...SelbyLowndes

Eagle
    One of the major reasons I dislike the dog flushing: You blow the top of the dogs head off.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."