Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Quail Video

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Horse 7/3 View Post
    From what I've experienced with shooting Quail they seem to fly somewhat low compared to Pheasants or Grouse when flushed. That being the case, one simply has to let the bird go. That is unless you're so very hungry for a shot as to put your dog in jeopardy.

Wild Bob White will covey break just about any way you could think of, mostly not where you think they'll go. As I reported, hunted wild quail over sixty years and without a doubt the most fun and challenging bird in North America.

Never hunted preserve birds, except during Field Trials and they are pi-- poor birds.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    I can promise you from my experience, it was the same with me with my quail hunts. Not the slightest idea which way they would fly, or, after takeoff, do a 180 and come right back at you so you had to corkscrew yourself into the stubble to get a shot off. Anywhere from singles to 15, 20 or more coming up, at you, around you, leaving you in wild bewilderment.

Please.....I've had these very same experiences with state stocked Quail. From what I've experienced and observed mature birds react in the very same way you describe wild birds. I've had birds fly in every direction except the way I assumed they would. I've had them fly directly at me and yes I've had to do a 180 to try and get a shot off.

What they do not often do is gain altitude as Pheasants and Grouse most often do.

Granted, wild Bob's may be somewhat more challenging, but surly mature, released Quail will give you you're money's worth of excitement. And that's just my biased opinion and I'm sticking to it!!!
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    That's great!

I have never hunted wild quail; never had the chance. My only point was that I thoroughly enjoyed my hunts, except for one, and that when others who had hunted both wild and preserve birds hunted with me, they were pleased with the hunt.

Mature helps, for sure. But mature or not, released/stocked quail won't act anything like wild quail--for example, won't form coveys--unless they've been released well before they're hunted. I'm talking at least several days. Weeks are better. But of course one issue with early release is that predators are going to take a lot of birds, until the quail become used to living in the wild.

Eagle
    I've had pointing dogs track running wild quail well over a quarter a mile, ran straight down the cut milo field, ran out of cover, then held for point. Nothing more thrilling the 20-30 quail a covey break, whirl of wings and up to go.

Sometimes I never got a shoot off on a covey break, just to confusing and much excitement.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Mature helps, for sure. But mature or not, released/stocked quail won't act anything like wild quail--for example, won't form coveys--unless they've been released well before they're hunted. I'm talking at least several days. Weeks are better. But of course one issue with early release is that predators are going to take a lot of birds, until the quail become used to living in the wild.
    Well Larry that's not what I've experienced in NJ. I have flushed a great many Quail coveys of state stocked birds that were released the day before we hunted them.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    I think those of us posting here about our quail hunts truly realize that generalizations about quail behavior are seldom going to hold up.

Much better, I think, that we describe our experiences of what we've seen and done, than to apply them across the board to everyone else's experiences. No one has hunted quail everywhere with every condition of the hunt in effect. Whilst we know about our own experiences, we don't always know about those of others.
    Last edited by Moonshine; May 26th, 2017 at 04:56 PM.

Eagle
    The Ames Plantation did a study several years back, put tracking devices on the birds. It was astonishing how the birds would run in a big circle fooling the best of bird dogs, end up the place they started.

I suppose you could google Ames and find the data and study. Little birds IMHO the most magnificent wild bird in North America. And a prolific bird, sometime will have two hatches a year or at least try if pushed off first brood.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Horse 7/3 View Post
    Well Larry that's not what I've experienced in NJ. I have flushed a great many Quail coveys of state stocked birds that were released the day before we hunted them.
    How do you know that the coveys you flushed were released only the day before you hunted them? You know for sure that the recently stocked birds were the only quail there? None left from earlier releases? None ever manage to survive the season and reproduce in the wild, resulting in at least some wild birds?

If it were easy to get pen-raised quail to form coveys hours after they've been released, then it would be far more common to find released quail coveying up and acting like wild quail on far more shooting preserves. Instead, that behavior is the rare exception to what you normally find with released quail.