Eagle

Bruce Bucks Gun Review on the 555 Stevens in the July-Aug 2017 SSM.

Gentlemen,
    We figured Bruce Buck would finally get around to reviewing the latest version of the 555 Stevens O/U, and he did in the July-Aug SSM. He did his review on the 555 Enhanced version of the gun.

For a couple months now the hunting members of the 28 Gauge Society forum have been talking about this little 555 Stevens O/U with great praise. From wild Texas Quail, Utah Turkey and Pa Grouse this little gun has been seriously impressive. The incredibly light 28, 555 Stevens built on a true 28 frame, is definitely an impressive little game gun, and the men have found the new version of the gun very reliable.

Just lately these little Turkish made guns have come a long way in quality for the money expended. My 555 O/U gun has absolutely no doubling problems, Mechanical SST works perfectly, holds repeat quality patterns, has 3" Chambers and Chrome lined Barrels. The B&P high grade 28 shells make this gun preform like a 20 gauge instead of a 28. All for a total cost of $538.00 shipped right to my front door from out west.

Bruce Buck reviews the 12 Gauge Enhanced version of the gun, his review in the last SSM is well worth reading. Especially if you are looking to pick up a new O/U for a beginner or a lighter gun for your wife or daughter.

God's Speed gentlemen,
    RGD/Dave

Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Good review. Seems like a nice gun for the money. The only concern he raised was steel on aluminum frame potential for wear. If one kept the rounds down range within reason, it looks like a keeper at that price. Would like to see one in 28 gauge.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.

Eagle
    Sneem,
    I was like you looking to put my hands on the 28. Here in the Pittsburgh, Pa area I could not lay my hands on one to actually see it. Seems these little gun were popular with our Grouse and Woodcock hunters here in Pa, and there were none left on the racks in the stores. I purchased mine out west with the help of one of the members on the 28 Gauge Society forum. He spotted it and let me know exactly which store to contact. I was real pleased with the 555 Stevens 28 when it arrived, especially for money I expended.

The way they have the bushings engineered, into the Aluminum frame, it will take more than a few generations before the little 28 Gauge gun would show any wear at all. For the money the 555 is a steal of a purchase.

Great gun for dog training and especially for a 1st time shotgun owner. One of the members on the 28 Forum has a young daughter about 10 years old who has taken 2 Turkey's with her 28 Gauge 555. That little lady will probably hand her 555 down thru her family, along with the stories of her Turkey hunts. Got me a hunch when some liberal school teacher starts talking about gun control in her school class room, that her teacher is in for a real NRA education. Probably the pictures to go along with it, for show and tell.

The gun on the table in the prior post is my Stevens 555, 28 gauge with the Black Matt finish.

God's Speed,
    RGD/Dave
    Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; June 4th, 2017 at 11:05 AM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.