Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eagle
    I've never been to Notre Dame during a church service. I would think attending a Church service there would be overwhelming. It's breath takingly beautiful. I'm a hick, the Effel Tower blew my socks off
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    Speaking of attending cathedral services, and such, we were fortunate to travel several times to Europe with a local choral group. Our accompanist played, and the choir sang, in many places, including, but only a partial list - Canterbury, Chartres, Rome, Amsterdam, Paris, Salzburg, Florence, Assisi, Sienna, plus numerous others over several trips that I can't even remember, as scenes and memories blur.

Greg, thanks for the evocative memories.

Truth is Pooch, that it would be better if the mass was in Latin. That way, all the reverent could participate, rather than trying to follow along in French.
    It has great acoustics. No kneelers.

No wine with the host.
    The "Peace be with you" part is very robust, as no one understands anybody else, only their sentiments.
    Here's a view from the knave (back of church)

And a shot across the transept.
    You can guess what the rose windows illuminate.
    The alter is quite simple, with impressionist carvings.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Eagle
    I dropped into a monastery chapel in Switzerland for peace and prayer. I can't remember the church or the town, it was supposed to be the highest elevation of any monetary. It had a Schnitger pipe organ and Choir was rehearsing for Easter. It was so overpoweringly beautiful I cried like a baby and cried so long my wife thought there was something wrong with me. I was just expelling dragons. Those medieval churches can sure pack a wallop.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    JPll for emphasis on my request for peace.

The level of detail in the stone carvings there is a world treasure.

It's obvious why terrorists have it in their sights.

If people play nice, I'll walk you around it. Inside and outside.
    Fortunately for you, this was not happening around Notre Dame when you were there...

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-p...606-story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Fortunately for you, this was not happening around Notre Dame when you were there...

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-p...606-story.html
    yes, today's events are what precipitated this thread.
    I expected political remarks, so I put it here.
    I would have preferred a General thread about a walk around Notre Dame.
    More people could have shared the images.
    Lunatics weilding hammers, kinda put a damper on it.

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    I dropped into a monastery chapel in Switzerland for peace and prayer. I can't remember the church or the town, it was supposed to be the highest elevation of any monetary. It had a Schnitger pipe organ and Choir was rehearsing for Easter. It was so overpoweringly beautiful I cried like a baby and cried so long my wife thought there was something wrong with me. I was just expelling dragons. Those medieval churches can sure pack a wallop.
    I call it lightning in a bottle. It's really where you find it. It can be almost anywhere.
    Sometimes it's in a church.

Eagle
    What a shame.

Tourists shelter in Notre Dame Cathedral as hammer-wielding assailant attacks police

https://news.google.com/news/amp?cau...tml#pt0-989531

This is for Syria!” attacked police outside Notre Dame Cathedral on Tuesday, setting off a security scramble at one of Paris’ best-known landmarks. But he was wounded by police gunfire before he could seriously injure anyone.
    The abortive attack marked the second strike in four days at a landmark site in a European capital, coming on the heels of a far more serious assault that left seven people dead and dozens hurt in London. French authorities identified Tuesday’s attacker as an Algerian man carrying student identification, and said he was armed with a pair of kitchen knives in addition to the hammer.
    Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

The life sized statuary is just phenomenal.

Some more glass

Eagle
    My favorite view of Notre Dame is from across the river where one can see the flying buttresses. In winter the leaves are off the trees so they can be seen. In summer the trees have grown so tall and gotten so big it's hard to see the back of the cathedral.