Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Idlewild View Post
    M1A is better.
    Better is a relative term. It's all about perspective. The M1A is a great rifle. I'm a big fan of the 7.62, or .308. A lot more punch than the 5.56.

That said - back to the original statement - the "M1A is better". Better for what? Shooting out beyond 300 yards? Yes. Shooting close range (like a baseball infield) with multiple targets, requiring quick target acquisition, firing, target acquisition, etc. For me personally .... not so much. I've fired both the 308 and 5.56 extensively. The 308 recoils quite a bit more than the 5.56. For acquiring and hitting multiple targets in a dynamic, fast moving, close range situation - I'd take the 5.56. If you really want to get down to brass tacks, and I was the "yahoo" at the baseball diamond in Virginia, I would have had a shotgun loaded with #00 buck, and a 14.5" M4 5.56 slung over my back, and a 9mm pistol (which he had). Luckily, the shooter was low skilled and foolish. That's good.

Ultimately, it's all about perspective.

Eagle
    So!!!!! Back to the original question ,,, What rifle was the schmuck shooting?????
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Here ya go ...

"Reports: Scalise Shooter Used SKS Rifle, Same Firearm Used In Dallas Police Ambush"

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...ambus-n2341800

And ...
    "FBI releases new information on gun used in Virginia shooting"
    http://www.wsiltv.com/story/35677404...ginia-shooting

Eagle
    pooch: "That is Horrible! Bird shot at close range makes a terrible wound. Is he still crippled or does he have a life."

The damage done to his intestines was considerable, so they had to reroute his entire plumbing system. It was awful and I can't even fathom what this poor kid went through. It was also a tremendous burden to the family, as my buddy spent every weekend in the hospital taking care of his son in 12 hour shifts. This went on month-after-month - well over a year. After three years he's just now consuming solid foods. For all that time he only received nutrients from an I.V. According to my buddy he may have to continue an I.V. as a supplement for the rest of his life.

Fortunately, neither he or his wife will have to work a day in their life as the settlement will be huge.
    "My favorite word is 'The Word'." - Nancy Pelosi

Eagle
    Terrible story and a terrible ordeal, but at least some good news as his financial situation is covered.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    pooch,
    It was bad enough Steve was hit with what he was, I do hope he recovers completely and goes on to have a good life. Still very glad it was not a Thompson .45 in the hands of a trained soldier that did the damage. Yes they are heavy and for a reason, a 3 round burst from the Thompson starts at the knees and ends at the shoulders or head as the Thompson rises from recoil, the .45 leaves no chance for recovery, no matter how drugged up the person receiving the rounds happens to be. Your M16 was built as a wounding weapon, a real piece of junk initially, now upgraded to be a lot better weapon. I would still rather have the Thompson for close quarter combat and the same rounds also fit the 1911 side arm. Which delivers the same punishment.

Steve is very lucky to be alive.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

You'd be surprised at how deadly that "real piece of junk" is Dave.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    If had been me shooting a Thompson, probably none of them would have gotten hit.

The first time I picked up a M14 was to qualify with it on the range. I dropped one round out of the black cause my elbow slipped. Darned near ran the table. It had that flap that goes over the shoulder like a BAR which made it easier hold steady. Heck of a range gun but too soft for the field.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Eagle
    What do you mean to soft for the field?????
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Stock would break at throat, magazine lips would get bent and not feed. Magazines would get mud in them and jam up. The last was our fault for trying to tape the magazines together for a quick magazine change, sticking the downward facing mag into the dirt. And the gun was heavy as was the ammunition. Would have much rather had an AK. The AR was still a gun in the future that few of us even had heard of one.