Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aya 28 gauge mdl. 4 questions

Gentlemen,

First off, I know very little about AYA doubles ! I do know they are made in Spain and seem to be thought of as well built guns.

I have a chance to purchase a 1978, AYA mdl. 4, 28 gauge double. The gun is mint and extremely ornate ! The gun was shot only a few times when new and then put away in a safe. It is in it's original hard case.

My main question: Can anyone guide me to someone who can properly appraise this gun ? Please PM me if you would like to see pictures.

Thanks,
    Dan

I shoot a model 4 on occasion.
    The best place to get a number for your guns worth is on any of the big gun auction sites under closed auctions for AyA 4/53's.
    Focus on the small bores.
    28's carry some premium.
    There will be some back and forth, and your stock (as example) might be 2x4 plain, or too short, or whatever.
    And there is also the quality control issues that many Spanish gunmakers had in the late 1970's and into the 80's. So, you might (God forbid) have one of the guns with soft parts inside. But people discount for those years.

And finally, there is the matter of the exchange rate.

The tripling of the cost of Spanish NEW guns to an American, doesn't translate into a tripling of sales price of 1970-1980's Spanish doubles on the used market.

That's why you can't just look up a 4/53 at an AyA dealers online shop and get an accurate comparison.
    And there are tons of 4/53's for sale all the time, so they often languish on the used market.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Thanks Greg !
    Good info !
    Dan

I looked on Cabela's site for a 4/53 28 ga, and they had a sale pending at 3K.
    So, they cashed someone out for probably $2500.00 or less.

A little premium for 28 ga, a little loss for year of manufacture, condition is a wash, I'd say 27-2800, and no one would be mad. As long as it could be inspected and it was determined there were no parts peening themselves inside.

Eagle
    Robin Hollow has a 4/53 fr 3,500, Griffin & Howe has one for 4,200 and McNab has a model 4 though not a 4 deluxe for 2,700. All are 28 gauge guns.

I sold a 4 Deluxe a decade ago for 5K (I think) that was also a 28 gauge gun.

So probably somewhere around 3K would not bother me for current value for a 4/53.
    B.C.

Eagle
    But OP did not say it's a 4/53. He said it's an "ornate" Model 4. That leaves a lot of room for the price/value to move around. Would help if he could post pics.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post
    But OP did not say it's a 4/53. He said it's an "ornate" Model 4. That leaves a lot of room for the price/value to move around. Would help if he could post pics.
    I agree. Number 4's or 4/53's are not ornate IMO. Sounds like it could be a Number 4 Deluxe. If so, the price will be much more than a 4 or 4/53. Only pictures can tell. I did PM the OP for pics.

Best,

Greg

And then there's the matter of engraving:
    Rolled,
    Rolled and chased,
    Lasered,
    Lasered and chased,
    or hand cut engraving.

Just depends on what year it was made, and what technique(s) they were using that year.
    Straight up rolled is a discount to me.
    Chased neutral
    Hand cut- a premium

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky's Dad View Post

It is why I gave him information about a Deluxe I sold some time ago. A lot of difference between the 4 Deluxe and the model 4.
    B.C.

Eagle
    Hi all, the gun is question is a Number 4 Deluxe. I got pics from the OP. She's a very nice gun, excellent condition. Would be a nice one to have. I'd say with the depressed SxS market right now, the gun is in that 4 to 4.5k range. Just my opinion of course.

Best,

Greg