Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks all !
    I appreciate all the sage, no b.s. advice.

Regards,
    Dan

Eagle
    dbell,
    I would offer the gentlemen 2,500-2,700 cash for the AyA 28 gauge double gun, and see if he will take it.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Doubt if sub-$3K is going to buy a 4 Deluxe, if the seller knows what he has. They're not very common, mainly because their price inflated to the point that they cost almost as much as a No. 2 sidelock.

Eagle
    Larry,
    Here is my way of purchasing Box Lock Guns. Never pay over $2,700 for a Box Lock gun, unless it's a LeFever and it better be one great original LeFever double gun.

RGD/Dave

Dave, suggest you check out prices for the most common Webley & Scott boxlock on the market: The Model 700. $2700 will get you a very nice 12ga 700. Won't touch a smallbore. Not to mention the great higher grade Parkers, Foxes, and Ithacas available--for a lot more than $2700.

Eagle
    It all boils down to what it's worth to the purchaser.

Eagle
    Larry,
    No doubt about it you can pay a lot more for a Box Lock double gun than $2,700. Especially some you have mentioned. However that does not mean I am willing to do it.

If I pay more than $3,000 for double gun it better be a good side lock double gun, maybe even a good Hammergun. You can pick up a fine pre war 16 Krieghoff Drilling right now in the May/June Vintage Gun advertisement in the SSM, for $2,400 and that sir is a darn fine gun.

There is also a Boss Hammer gun 16 Gauge for $3,200 in the same advertisement. Further please tell me why a man would purchase a now over priced box lock Parker double gun, instead of a well engineered J.P. Sauer 16 Gauge or a Boss 16 side lock Hammergun, either gun for around $3,000. Further there is a pre 13 #2 L.C. Smith in absolutely perfect condition available on Gun Broker for just over $3,000, with beautiful light Kraus Engraving and original French Walnut wood.

As an engineer I have been trying to understand this for many years. There is no accounting for taste, that is for darn sure. The max I will spend for a Box Lock double would be $3,000, most times $2,700, unless a great old LeFever original happens to mysteriously appear from someones collection.

RGD/Dave
    Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; Yesterday at 11:34 AM.

Eagle
    No accounting for taste..... That's for sure. Fellow several blocks away painted his house turquoise blue. I'm sure it dropped the value of neighborhood houses by $10,000 or more. Dumber then a box of rocks.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."