Eagle

America's Cup finals today - 1:00PM EDT

Finals begin today...

Re: comment on "All it takes is money, or roughly that..."

Take a look at this on the demands of physical conditioning, etc on the crews...up to three races a day.

Also a link on more of what goes into attempting to compete:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11877890

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing/2...ty-needle-air/

Eagle
    Pathetic. Embarrassing. They should be ashamed.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.

Eagle

America's Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Sneem View Post
    Pathetic. Embarrassing. They should be ashamed.
    So far, yes.

But, it's also puzzling.

Oracle whipped Emirates NZ twice in the Round Robin Louis Vuitton series to choose the challenger, and won the RR over all. Emirates NZ won the right to challenge Oracle.

Obviously, between the RR and last weekend, ENZ figured out some things, as they now lead, 3-0.

So far, Oracle has not been successful in figuring out what it needs to do, but they have until next Saturday to do something.

While 2014 offers no guarantees for 2017, in 2014, Oracle was behind 1-7, and won it all, 8-7. Talk about comebacks.

Will it happen again? I'd say odd are against it. But...

Let's look back to 1977 - In the challenge series run by the NY Yacht Club, Ted Turner was competing with Courageous against Ted Hood, boat owner and top-level sail maker, and another boat, also run by another top sail maker. Ted's boat, Courageous, had won in '74, under another owner, who had sold Courageous to Turner.

In the Newport RI races to determine the '77 defender, Courageous ran away with the trials in June. Then, Turner lost 5-2, in the July trials. He tried his damnedest to get some new sails from Hood and the other guy; both turned him down flat, in complete violation of the spirit of the Cup's history. Turner was an outsider and they were not going to help him.

Turner then went to a guy on his crew, and asked him to rework some of his sails that had been in use for four years. The guy did, Turner won the August competition, and Turner/Courageous was chosen by the NY Yacht club as the defender.

Turner then won, 4-0, and retained the Cup for America.

I don't know where the fat lady is right now, but she ain't sung yet.

Eagle
    From a historical perspective, it seems the tables have been turned. Back when the America won the trophy that became the America's Cup, it was so far ahead when it crossed the finish line, the judges asked who was second. The observer had to answer, "Sir, there is no second place." The Americans have been so out of it, it looked like they were in a different race.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.

Eagle
    A whole lot of water has been sailed over since 1851.

It's not unreasonable to expect a change in cup winners from time to time. No country always wins.

Here's the correct version of that story-

THE WHOLE STORY
    In The Beginning
    In 1851 a radical looking schooner ghosted out of the afternoon mist and swiftly sailed past the Royal Yacht stationed in the Solent, between the Isle of Wight and the south coast of England, on an afternoon when Queen Victoria was watching a sailing race.
    As the schooner, named America, passed the Royal Yacht in first position, and saluted by dipping its ensign three times, Queen Victoria asked one of her attendants to tell her who was in second place.”Your Majesty, there is no second,” came the reply.

Eagle

America's Cup

I have long been a student of the America's Cup. I no longer have an interest as I have no interest in the boats they are sailing. I grew up with the 12 Meter boats and have sailed on a few of them. They are really lovely boats. I have never cared for the multi-hull craft. I guess that all makes sense as I shoot SXS guns and drive a rather ancient Bentley. Cheers.....

Eagle
    The word is, if NZ takes the Cup, they will make many changes in conditions.

Things mentioned:
    1. Mono hulls only
    2. Boats must be built in the country of challenging ownership, i. e., Japan, Sweden
    3. Crew must be citizens of challenger
    4. Perhaps restricting materials, or origin of materials.
    etc.

I think this would be good.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortes View Post
    I have long been a student of the America's Cup. I no longer have an interest as I have no interest in the boats they are sailing. I grew up with the 12 Meter boats and have sailed on a few of them. They are really lovely boats. I have never cared for the multi-hull craft. I guess that all makes sense as I shoot SXS guns and drive a rather ancient Bentley. Cheers.....
    Please, if you don't mind, tell us a little about your ancient Bentley. I once rode around Road Atlanta in one similar to this
    https://www.google.com/search?num=10...eMg51FAzDItdM:

Eagle

America's Cup Finals

The photos you showed are of "Vintage" Bentleys. These are the ones built by the original company and designed by W.O.Bentley. They are incredible cars by any measure. My car is from 1938, and the 1930's Bentleys were built by Rolls-Royce, who took over Bentley in 1931. The cars of this period are called "Derby Bentleys" as they were built in the RR Derby factory. We nuts call our cars by the chassis number - mine is B107LE. The friend I bought this car from drove it from Virginia to West Coast and back on three different occasions, the last trip being his "Lewis and Clark" rerun. Almost 80 years old, my car will keep up with modern traffic. I do try to stay off the Interstates, especially I95. That is for my nerves, not the cars. They are great fun. Wish I could post a photo here but it is far too much trouble. Send me a private email and I can send a photo directly to your email. [email protected]

Eagle
    Thanks! I'd love to see a photo of your car. We owned several Bentleys in the '90s and '00s, the last was a factory order in '03, I think. I was not happy with the last one; they closed the nearest dealership, and that's it. Have often dreamt of owning an earlier model, but am no sort of mechanic, so not a good idea.

I'm very familiar with W. O. and the marque's history from him, to Rolls, and thence to Germany.

I have a pretty comprehensive collection of 1/43 scale model Bentleys, beginning with the very first W. O. cars, right up to pretty much the present.

Much obliged!