Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Fox A Grade

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb View Post
    Despite these cries of foul from amongst "us chickens", CSMC and Savage have apparently decided to build and offer them. What group of lesser individuals do you think they're targeting?
    The ones that would never buy a used car or leave the new car options sticker in the window for a spell when they go to the gun club?
    I vote to give half of the days in August to October.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    What you're buying is a basic Anson & Deeley dressed up like a Fox. The market is awash with used A&D's in excellent condition, for way less money. You're not getting the Fox design. Yes, you're getting nice wood on a gun that looks something like a Fox. But if you look around a bit, you can probably find an unfired Parker Repro in either 12 or 20ga for the same money, in a very nice case. And it's Parker on the inside as well as on the outside.
    Agreed but used guns are always a better buy. Compare to new guns that are presently available.

Re CSMC and Savage: Since Savage owns the name, they can do whatever they want. Like Marlin having Fausti and Zabala build LC Smiths that aren't anything like the originals.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Re CSMC and Savage: Since Savage owns the name, they can do whatever they want. Like Marlin having Fausti and Zabala build LC Smiths that aren't anything like the originals.
    Dave still likes his .

Eagle
    Leon670,
    I do like the Zabala made L.C. Smith 28 gauge gun, wish it had a Brown Rotary Bolt however. It's not the quality of the originals, however it's a nice Euro 28 gauge gun with modern Spanish Engraving and puts the Grouse down quite well! It did not cost 5K either.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon670 View Post
    Agreed but used guns are always a better buy. Compare to new guns that are presently available.
    Not necessarily, Leon. Check out asking prices on a Ruger Gold Label. Not sure people are paying that, but it's pretty serious inflation from original new prices. But as I said, you can occasionally still find a new Parker Repro. And in 20 or 12, it will probably cost less than a new Savage Fox. Used ones in nice shape . . . not all that much more than the last MSRP (before they were discounted and closed out). And I doubt that gun could be made today for twice the price of a new Savage Fox. Likely way more than that.

Eagle
    I am definitely a fan of the Parker repro. Wish I had bought one of the Cape G closeouts!

Eagle
    Gentlemen,
    Larry is correct and there are a lot of used double guns being sold at Auction that cost big money, bigger than most modern made guns. It's all what the purchaser deems the guns are worth.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    I think this thread is trying too hard to keep breathing. I'm out.