Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Memory loss does not = Alzheimer's, which is memory loss based on a specific disease. Everyone I know my age (72), from those who take no prescription drugs to those who take a bunch, has experienced some memory loss. Or perhaps a better way to put it: We're slower to retrieve memories than we used to be. I heard a wonderful description of memory loss simply due to age the other day. When you're young, it's like you've got this research library with a whole bunch of assistant librarians to search out information for you. When you're old, you've got more information in the library, but you've got one lone librarian, and he's using a walker. I'll be sitting around with 3 or 4 of my friends, and one of us will go blank on the name of an athlete, actor, whatever. Often all of us. 5 or 10 minutes later, subject changed by that time, someone will blurt out the name we'd been unable to come up with. Alzheimer's progresses WAY beyond that, to the point where an individual can no longer speak. Or at least make any sense when they do.

Eagle
    I sure have the "holes" you described. I didn't know if the holes were from old age or from banging my head through a windshield. All in all I came out pretty lucky and it looks like I'm going able to walk again. maybe we can go hunting. I'm worried I have used up all my "get out of jail free" cards, but I think you use up those cards by just getting older.

What irritates the heck out of me is I now recognize all the mistakes I have made in life and should be wiser. Only to realize I am soon to become senile. I have to keep reminding myself that life beats death.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

First Class
    Now, just write the book Poochie!

Eagle
    your insults are laughable. keep eating a diet rich in fats and sugars, taking all kinds of harmful medications and drinking alchohol and it's quite likely your final years will be quite unpleasant.

at my last checkup, my personal physician, an M.D. with a speciality in internal medicine, told me i had the metabolism of a 25 yr old. he did advise me to gain a few pounds.

obesity, diabetes, dementia, alzheimers, parkinsons, opiod abuse, prescription drug abuse are all at epedemic proportions. and it's all related.

The one most significant key to longevity: Genes. If your parents lived a long time, it's likely you will too. Keeping yourself in good shape is certainly important, especially if you want to keep chasing birds and bird dogs. But it won't guarantee you a long life. Running guru Jim Fixx died at 52, and undoubtedly lived longer than he would have, had he not stopped smoking, dropped a bunch of weight, and gotten into running in his 30's. Outlived his father by 9 years. But genes gave him a bad heart. Today's medicine likely would have given him more years, but the odds of Fixx living into his 80's still wouldn't be very high.

Eagle
    Larry,
    No doubt about it, genetics is the real major deciding factor in our life span. However things like Agent Orange can also play a big role in a humans life span. My Father passed away at 60 years of age from the chemical poisoning he suffered on Guadalcanal and other islands while fighting in WWII. If not for modern medicine I would have done the same at 60 from Agent Orange in Viet Nam. My Grandfather lived a longer life from 1889 to 1969, he was a sniper in WWI and was not effected by the M Gas. Environment does play a serious role in how long we live also.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    You have a heck of a heritage. Thanks for fighting so I could be free.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

Ryman, you're right about environment. I was going to use Mickey Mantle--who died relatively young after a lot of alcohol abuse, but still outlived all of his male relatives. (And his sons died younger than he did.) But Mantle's father and uncles worked in a mine and were exposed to a bunch of toxic stuff, and you can't discount that.

Eagle
    Mickey was a drunk, an a$$hole of one. He got a liver transplant but wouldn't stop drinking. Men have a tendency to eat, drink and smoke terrible things. It's tough to figure out if they have long life genes, bad habits can cancel out good genes.

I hope the both of us last long enough to go hunting again. I would like to get the opportunity to hunt pheasants with a really accomplished pheasant hunter.

Pooch, that would be great. Toss Pete into the mix. We had a great time down in TX.