Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First Class

Re: Single Trigger Mechanics

I only have one single trigger gun and that is by the Midland Gun Company. I often think that single triggers are like automatic transmission in vehicles - a great big step in the wrong direction. Mike.....

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/1890005.pdf held by Winchester, probably for their Model 21 side by side double gun.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3537203.pdf held by Weatherby, probably for their Regency O/U gun. I would think that SKB already had a single trigger that would have been used in the Orion and Athena O/U guns.

I think I would learn the Browning design first, because it probably has been used in more guns than these two, and it was an early successful SST design. Also, Val Browning gave a lot of detail of the design and how it works. I have not looked at a Citori drawing to compare, but would not be surprised to find a similar design being used.

Blaser F3 probably has an interesting design, as a lot of that gun is newer technology. Browning Cynergy SST design might be interesting to look at.

http://www.nibbo.com/search/?q=how+does ... f=FORID:11 has a photograph (photos at right of page, click to expand) of a thirties vintage Superposed receiver with the stock removed. It shows the single trigger parts. The sear tail is visible sitting on the front of the selector part, which is stopped from moving farther forward by its face contacting the sear tail. After the trigger has been pulled, and the gun completes recoil, that sear will have dropped out of the way and the selector will move forward enough so that the small 'shelf' on the right side (left side one is visible just behind the sear tail in the picture) will come under the second sear tail. Second pull releases that sear.

Eagle

Jim Hall,
    Thank you for your interest, I find it fascinating how different people solve similar problems.
    Now all I have to do is get photographs and drawings of Krieghoff, Blaser and a good quality single trigger Sidelock and I will be content.

There is an excellent explanation of the single trigger design process on page 183 of McIntosh's book BEST GUNS. It is in the chapter on Boss guns. Typical of mechanical evolution, a number of people were working trying to come up with a working single trigger design and more than one arrived at the solution about the same time. Boss & Co got there first with a successful patent. There was even a later lawsuit with Purdey about it, but Robertson at Boss gets the credit.

First Class

With 64 years in the gun trade completed. I have over the years come across very many makes of single triggers. Repaired and adjusted many, cussed and swore and tore my hair over a number of them. I can write an article on some single triggers, types etc explaining how they function,
    However I'm afraid that magazines are not really interested in technical articles, they prefer nice fancy romantic articles about guns and gunmaking.
    I rarely log into this bulletin board. I will now for awhile to see what support I can muster for writing such an article. By reading this far no doubt many will have figured out my identity. The problem will be getting hold of guns with the relevant single triggers to photograph. With my limited work capability these days I do not get so many single trigger guns comng in

Eagle

Gunmaker,
    Thank you for your interest, all your points have been noted.
    I think Mackintosh was, and Venters is a writer who could hold our interest long enough to explain the workings of the various trigger groups.
    As you so rightly point out, it is the difficulty of being able to strip and view these different mechanismns.
    As I said at the beginning of my post there are so many efficient systems nowadays that we do tend to take them for granted. As the Ozzies so aptly put it 'if it aint broke, don't fix it',
    The problems start when the trigger breaks and we try and mend them without understanding how they are supposed to cycle.
    Mechanical selector operating triggers for instance, hands up, how many of you have ever pulled the trigger on a loaded gun with this type of trigger, failed to fire ,then pulled the trigger again? Enlightening isn't it? I'll bet you wondered how that happened?

http://www.shotgunlife.com/Shotguns/triggers.html shows a clear picture of the insides of a Krieghoff action. Quite a bit can be seen, but I cannot see how it works without explanation. The barrel selector appears to be just in front of the trigger. A small metal teardrop on a short vertical pin appears to be ready to lift the right sear. The sequence of events that will occur after the right sear is tripped I cannot figure out without explanation. The larger spring at the top looks as if it is for the top lever. The two smaller springs under it appear to be for the sears, but maybe they reach on through to the hammers. Would this be a mechanical trigger? I have never shot a Krieghoff.

An article on single triggers with explanations of how they work would be welcome.

The (address removed) part of the link above is shotgun life without a space. I have no idea why the complete link cannot be pasted into this message.

The K-gun trigger system is very complicated. So is the Superposed. I suggest you get someone to let you examine a Perazzi drop out trigger unit. You can take it out of the gun and still operate the trigger and examine just how things shift. Neat.

Here's an added wrinkle: For whatever reason, single triggers seem to work better on OU's, in general, than they do on sxs. Or at least one tends to hear more about balky sxs ST's than on OU's. Something to do with the different geometry of the two systems?