Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eagle

Scope for a Winchester Model 61 .22 pump?

I have a Winchester model 61 .22 pump in my gun cabinet. It belonged to my grandfather but apparently got little use - it is almost pristine. Anyway, my over-50 eyeballs cannot simultaneously focus well on three planes so I don't shoot it well. I would do much better using a very low power scope with a wide field of view. Any suggestions for scopes and mounting methods? The receiver and barrel are smooth - no scope mounting grooves.
    Pete Houser

Eagle

Re: Scope for a Winchester Model 61 .22 pump?

If it doesn't have grooves, then I would not drill any holes in it to add a mount. It will greatly diminish the value of the rifle.
    Ole Cowboy

Star

I agree with Don. Let's go back to the original question. I have a model 61, still new, with the grooved received sitting in the cabinet. My over-60 eyeballs have the same issue.

Any suggestions for a scope?

Eagle

The 3/4" tube Redfield 4X. Out of production and expensive but the only thing that looks right and is high quality, good optics.

Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by orry
    I agree with Don. Let's go back to the original question. I have a model 61, still new, with the grooved received sitting in the cabinet. My over-60 eyeballs have the same issue.

You're not going to find an old from-the-same-era scope for your gun that has great optics or is reasonably priced, if you find one at all.

By far, the best .22 scope on the market for the money is Nikon's ProStaff Classic Rimfire 4x32 for about $110 (from MidwayUSA). It comes with a very nice set of rings for a grooved receiver; parallax adjusted for 50 yds. I've had one on a 552 Remington now for over a year and love it. Great optics that rival much more expensive scopes. The matte finish and minimum decoration allow it to fit on something like a Win. 61 without hurting the aesthetics too much. You can go to Midway's website and read the glowing reviews, all with which I agree.

The expensive alternative is Leupold's 4x32 rimfire for three times as much that might make a slightly more "aesthetically pleasing" package.
    JR
    Eagle Scout Dad x 2

Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Houser
    I have a Winchester model 61 .22 pump in my gun cabinet. It belonged to my grandfather but apparently got little use - it is almost pristine. Anyway, my over-50 eyeballs cannot simultaneously focus well on three planes so I don't shoot it well. I would do much better using a very low power scope with a wide field of view. Any suggestions for scopes and mounting methods? The receiver and barrel are smooth - no scope mounting grooves.
    Pete,
    You do have somewhat of a conundrum there. The problem with a smooth-receivered 61 like yours is two-fold. One, it does affect the value of the gun to drill and tap it, but it also puts the scope a little higher and more out of the line-of-sight than a similar 61 with a grooved receiver, after the mount bases and rings are installed. However, since it is a family heirloom and you'll never sell it, do whatever you like to make it a shooter. If you have any sons or grandsons who can appreciate the gun, just leave it alone and find another .22 to shoot until you can pass it along to one of them.

One other thing: if you do decide to have it drilled and tapped, just be sure to have a reputable, skilled gunsmith that can advise you and do a flawless job, which might even include making a set of very low-profile custom bases. If you do it, do it right ($$$).
    JR
    Eagle Scout Dad x 2

Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by orry

With respect to drilling a 61 I'm with Don.

The little 3/4" Redfield looks cool (especially on a 39 Marlin, methinks). But there are far better optical solutions if hitting stuff is primary. Sometimes function precedes decorum.

JR's Nikon suggestion is excellent, though I happen to have and like the EFR Leupold.

If what's eating you is being unable to use irons consider a dot. Certainly, a dot will look out of place on any vintage rifle. But they are nothing short of a revelation for presbyopic oldsters. Once I could do MOA with irons, now 4-5 MOA is it. With a zero magnification dot I'm back in business. Dots don't make you shoot better. They put everything in one focal plane which allows you to see better. And, apparently, seeing is more important than magnification.

The "no-parallax" dot benefit may not appeal to shotgunners who better understand consistent mount vs the AR15 crowd. But dots are faster than most scopes. And they usually offer less weight and bulk.

The world is full of inexpensive dots that will not balk at .22rf recoil. Think I paid $35 for a Tasco a few years back. Anyway, $50 will do it for a unit with integral mount. Only negative: severe astigmatism and dots don't agree. Try before you buy.

Sam

Eagle

My over 70 eyes have the same problem with open sights but here's another idea that you might consider. Have a vintage style peep sight with a small aperature mounted. It looks right for the gun and it really sharpens the sight picture for you. I have an old Marlin with a period Marbles sight and it makes a world of difference.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.
    Edward Abbey

Eagle

The Model 61 is drilled and tapped for a Lyman No. 1(or No. 2) Combination Rear Tang sight that were made special for the Model 61.
    The problems would be in finding one and, if found, the price.
    Ole Cowboy

Don,

I used to do some business many years ago with a fella from Texas, I think, named Gary Fellers, who dealt in vintage sights. Is he still around? If so, he would be my first suggestion to call.

Stan