Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Constipated Dog

Constipated Dog

I have an older dog that is having issues the past few days having a bowl movement. Iíve been giving her pumpkin but it is not working. Can you give dogs enemas? Any other ideas I could try?
    Willie Hunter

Eagle

Re: Constipated Dog

I would have a vet determine if she is impacted before I gave her an enema, Willie, but yes you can give them an enema.

A Fleet's baby enema if you chose not to use one supplied by a vet, is generally safe for dogs.
    B.C.

Eagle

It may be that the dog has a blockage. If this is the case it can go bad quickly. I have seen this with my Labs - they eat anything.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.

I see she just passed a big clump of grass. She is drinking and woke me up this morning @ 2:00 wanting her breakfast. We have had these issue before but didnít last that long. She has not had any bones that Iím aware of. No swelling or lumps on her rear, but has some minor bleeding. The dog has had anal gland issues prior.
    Willie Hunter

I went up to the store and picked up a Fleet enema package and gave it to her with no luck. I decided I would fill the container up with warm water and try it again, actually put in 2 bottles while the wife held the dog. The wife held her for about 2 minutes and off she went, went about 30 yards and all heck broke loose. She is all cleaned out and is one happy dog.
    Willie Hunter

Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Hunter
    I went up to the store and picked up a Fleet enema package and gave it to her with no luck. I decided I would fill the container up with warm water and try it again, actually put in 2 bottles while the wife held the dog. The wife held her for about 2 minutes and off she went, went about 30 yards and all heck broke loose. She is all cleaned out and is one happy dog.
    I'm glad to hear everything came out all right, pun intended. I never heard of giving a enema to a dog before...... Thanks for the info.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Junnie,

She was pretty worn out, I had to try something. She had her dinner and is resting now. I may need to change her food going forward.
    Willie Hunter

Eagle

I have one that constantly has loose bowels. I've tried everything except Licorice. . . . :P seriously he always has loose B.M.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle

Willie:

I went to a "First-Aid for Field Dogs" clinic put on by a local Vet practice this fall... They advised canned pumpkin for a dog with diarrhea, not constipation.

I wonder if the pumpkin was contributing to the problem?

2G
    W.W.D.D. - "What would Delmar do?"

Quote Originally Posted by 2Gordons
    Willie:

I went to a "First-Aid for Field Dogs" clinic put on by a local Vet practice this fall... They advised canned pumpkin for a dog with diarrhea, not constipation.

I wonder if the pumpkin was contributing to the problem?

2G
    Interesting, I'll look into this. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Willie Hunter