Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Reloading 16 guage shells

Anybody have a preferred load for 16 guage pheasant shells? I am just starting on 16 so I will buy AA target loads and reload as I acquire and save hulls at the range. I would like a load that will handle # 5's for pheasants and #7.5's for quail and targets. Thanks

Eagle

Re: Reloading 16 guage shells

I don't think you'll find any AA target loads in 16 gauge.
    Sounds like a 1 oz load will work fine for your quail and targets but you may want to go to a 1 1/8 oz load if you choose to shoot no.5 shot to thicken up the pattern a bit. I would load the old standard velocity, Field loads of 1 oz shot at 1165 fps for the smaller shot and 1 1/8 oz at 1185 for the larger shot. The high velocity 1 1/8 oz load, kicks quite a bit in a light (under 7 lb) 16.

Leon's correct -- there are no 16 gauge AA target loads. Winchester used to make a compression formed hull in 16 but hasn't for years.

Probably the most easily found 16 gauge hull these days is the Remington black game load. Those are OK for reloading in my experience. Haven't played with any others.

Eagle

There's a reloading forum on 16ga.com you might find of interest.

I wonder about one load for that shot size spread, though. You can make some very soft 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads for targets. The DR16 wad - and something like Green Dot - is great for these. On the other end I would want more #5 pellets than standard one ounce shot bars dispense. The Rem SP16 wad - and Longshot - may be more of your friend on this end.

That said, the CB AA16 clone is a very good wad, working well with 1 oz drops in RGLs.

Hulls? The RGLs are nice, especially if you load for M-12 with their short ejection ports. But the Federal hull is nicer for break-open guns, JMHO.

Powder? If you're determined to go with 1 oz drops something like Unique or Universal will work.

Sam

Eagle

We are fortunate in our 16-gauge reloading to have in the last few years gotten the DR-16 and the Claybuster clone of the old WAA-16 wads. Way back when I bought several flats of the Winchester Dove & Quail and Winchester/Western Uplander 16-gauge shells when they were put up in a compression formed hull. I loaded then with a Winchester 209 primer, 20.5 grains of WSF, a WAA-16 wad and 1 ounce of shot. When Winchester quit offering the WAA-16 wad I bought up all that Green Top Sporting Goods north of Richmond had. I was down to a couple of boxes of reloads left when Claybuster came along and bailed me out with the new wad. I had a pretty good stock of Federal empties so they are what I'm using with the DR-16 wad and 7/8 ounce of shot. I'm loading the Federal hulls with a Winchester 209, 16.2 grains of American Select and 7/8 ounce of #9 shot. This is a great Skeet load in my RBL-16. I'm amazed at how many reloads I'm getting out of the purple Federal hulls.

I've not had the need to load any heavier 16-gauge loads. Through two lucky instances I've gotten enough, mostly Federal, 1 1/8 ounce #6 loads to last the rest of my life. They have become my go-to Pheasant load.

Eagle

I loaded then with a Winchester 209 primer, 20.5 grains of WSF, a WAA-16 wad and 1 ounce of shot.
    That's the same load I have been using (in AA hulls) for many years. A very good load for the uplands when loaded with any hard shot from #8 to #6. I use 1 oz. of 6's for pheasants and never had a problem with killing ability. My standard upland load for chukars, Huns, and sharp-tails is magnum #7 shot and 8's for dove and quail.

Like Researcher, I bought a TON of Win Game Loads and have kept all the hulls (about 2000) and have 2-1/2 cases of the old WWAA16 gauge blue wads.

Another good AA load is the Remington R16 wad, 20G of SR7625, 209P primer and one ounce of shot. This is a fairly low pressure load.

I have a spreadsheet database of more than 800 attributed 16 gauge loads and would be happy to send you a copy is you PM me with an e-mail address.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.

Eagle

I will defer to Chukarman's advice and breadth in 16 gauge loads.

I load Unique/WAA16 (or clone)/1 oz. of #6 in old compression formed hulls, and in the current black hulled Remingtons, Win 209 primers. Great one ounce load.

Another I like is 1 1/8 oz loads w/ WSF, same hulls, primers. I like these in the second barrel.

These both work very well for me. It goes without saying that the shot is hard, high antimony content (6%).

Star

Which ever load/hull you use I suggest you purchase a set of brass crimp starters from BP products. I load paper and plastic hulls from old Remington 57 primed Express and Sur Shot, Winchester paper to what I scavenge from my gun club. The BP crimp starters produce excellent crimps with all hulls.

The main problem with reloading for the 16ga is hulls. The wad problem has largely been solved, per the above. But no one makes a 16ga hull that will reload nearly as well as the higher quality target hulls in all the other gauges. I guess that's the price 16ga shooters pay because their favorite gauge was not selected as one of the "official" skeet gauges.

Eagle

Hulls are the problem. I do two things. I have a Dick's nearby that gave me the $4.98 a box sale price on the 16 ga Rem black hulled game loads. I got two flats. So I'm set on those. They don't have the reload life of some of the others. But they reload nicely for 3-4 reloads.
    I also found some Estate 16 ga shells at a cheap price at Cabela's. I really like those because they are the Federal purple hulls.

I like a load I got from an old Alliant book. For the 1 oz Rem black hulls I have been loading 21 gr Herco with the Claybuster WAA16 clone wad and the Rem 209P primer. This gives a velocity of 1220 fps and 9700 psi. A little snappy, but it smacks them good with hard #6's. #5's will obviously work too, but at 1 oz for pheasants I like the higher pellet count of #6's.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.