Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    First Class
    Hello C Man,
    I have just come across your post regarding loads for 16g. aka would be most grateful if you could provide me with the database for the 800+ loads.
    I am in the UK and am loading for a sxs of English manufacture.
    Thanks and kind regards
    Neil

Life
    Anyone tried the Fiocchi hulls? They load some great shells from game loads to super pheasant. The hulls are either low brass or hi brass but look the same otherwise. They should load the same I would think. I have been hunting with their ammo for several years and really like the 16-s they offer. The HV-5# is my go to pheasant load. I have saved all my empties in case of ??? thanks all SXS Ohio

Eagle
    I personally would "section" (cut lengthwise down the middle) both the high-brass and the low-brass hull to make sure the hull construction is identical before attempting to reload the hulls.

That gives you the ability to check base wad height and hull construction, etc. "just to be sure" they are identical.

Ballistic Products would be a good place to check for questions on Fiocchi hulls.....they used to sell the new hulls....not sure now.
    Might be a question on primer pockets relative to 209s, as well.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Life
    Hi Bob K.....I just started working on some low recoil loads. With some help from others I have put together a nice load. I have not had time to test it in my light Fox Sterlingworth as the barrels are out getting the chambers moved out to 2 3/4". They are due back Monday...(-: My load starts with a published load. Fiocchi hull low or hi brass is the same....loads the same, win-209, Down Range wad from Graf & sons pushed firmly on top of powder, 16.0 grains of International powder, a thin sliver 1/16th of filler wad in the bottom of the shot cup and 7/8oz of 7.5# chilled shot. I plan to try a Kellogs cherio in place of the filler wad. My load crimps nice and seems tight with no inside rattle. Soon as my barrels get here I will test my load for felt recoil, ignition qualities, barrel fouling, velocity, and check patterns on my steel backstop. We have hunted wild roosters in Kansas for several years now and use Fiocchi HV 5# 1 1/8 loads....They are death on hard to kill roosters! Copy that load and your in business....thanks all.....SXS Ohio

Eagle
    Hi all, the one and only 16ga load I use for hunting is:

2 3/4" Cheddite Hull
    Cheddite 209 Primer
    22.5 grn Longshot
    SG16 Wad
    1 1/8oz shot (#6 or #5) I do use an OS card. Just makes crimping easier for me.
    7050 psi
    1220 fps

This one has worked great for me on pheasants and prairie grouse. As the pressure is low, I even use it in my 2 1/2" chambered guns.

Good Luck!

Greg

Eagle
    Greg, how is our friend down on the river? Do you still see him every once in awhile? Off topic, I know, but your post made me think of him.
    B.C.

Eagle
    Hi Bob, been awhile hope all is well with you? Are you still selling for B&P? Anyway, Wade is doing fine, been a busy summer for him. He lost a lot of business when the oil patch declined, but was able to get a bunch of other jobs, so all is well with him. We hunted a few times last year, plan on doing much more this year (I hope!). He was asked to survey on the DAPL, but said no. Too much to lose and not much to gain. Lots of back room politics, which he hates!

So, how are things in your neck of the woods? We had a decent spring here for nestling. No snow, storms or wet conditions. We are as you know going thru a drought, got some rain early this week and supposed to get more today. We need the rain bad. I'm hoping that the broods will have enough water to get through. So far this year we haven't seen any grasshoppers or other insects (except ticks!) chicks need those also. Just keeping our fingers crossed!

Anyway, as I said hope all is well!

Best,

Greg

Eagle
    I reload a lot of 16 gauge shells and have for many years. I much prefer shooting light 7/8 oz. loads and the only way to do this is by reloading.
    I use Herter's hulls since you can usually get flats of 1 oz. shells for around $55.00 at Cabella's. These make perfect reloads that look like factory ammo and perform just the way I want them to.
    I generally try to use Hogdon International powder with DR-16 wads and a Cheddite type primer. If you're shooting a pump or autoloader, American primers will fall out rather easily and too often. This will jam your gun and stop you in your tracks.

I've recently gotten back into it after swearing I never would. As Researcher pointed out, there's now a better selection of wads. Hulls remain an issue. The Herter's hulls (Cheddite) reload well, but they don't last long before the case mouth splits. So far, that's the only hull I've reloaded. 7/8 oz target loads. Universal powder, Cheddite primer, CB 7/8 oz wad. Works well, but I do need to drop in one Cheerio to get the best crimps. But the Herter's shells are cheap enough (sometimes around $6/box if you catch them on special; otherwise around $7, which is cheap for factory 16's) that you can afford to toss them after 2 or 3 reloads.