Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eagle
    hope not off topic onbeanpants i just ordered WRANGLER PRO GEAR UPLAND CAMO
    JEAN for 40 dollars delivered.
    will be used for hunting grouse in clinton/potter/elk /cameron county this year with whiskers my SM.
    Last edited by grousemunster; September 14th, 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Eagle
    Jim K,
    My suggestion is to train your SM on wild Pa Grouse, that way she will handle just about every other game bird with
    little or no problem. Mike W the man who owns Sampsons Daughter, just called this morning, on Wed his wife had their 2 SM dogs out on the front yard just outside their electronic security fence, while the young SM pup needed attention Mikes incredible SM female was hit by a big delivery truck. Mike called me this morning in tears L.C. had to be put down, they could not save her. Sampson is 15 1/2 years old now, I doubt he will sire another litter. Mikes family is going thru a tough time. Keep a close eye on your SM pup Jim, accidents do happen.
    RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryman Gun Dog View Post
    Jim K,
    My suggestion is to train your SM on wild Pa Grouse, that way she will handle just about every other game bird with
    little or no problem. Mike W the man who owns Sampsons Daughter, just called this morning, on Wed his wife had their 2 SM dogs out on the front yard just outside their electronic security fence, while the young SM pup needed attention Mikes incredible SM female was hit by a big delivery truck. Mike called me this morning in tears L.C. had to be put down, they could not save her. Sampson is 15 1/2 years old now, I doubt he will sire another litter. Mikes family is going thru a tough time. Keep a close eye on your SM pup Jim, accidents do happen.
    RGD/Dave
    you are right dave. i am out with WHISKERS every other morning road riding in kettle creek. looking for grouse .
    all of sudden i cant find pigeons to trap.not too many grouse also. hawks are flying roads at 7 am looking to kill them,I HATE HAWKS. they killed all but 1 of my squirreals in my feeders.
    we need HAWK SEASON .
    still looking around renovo.
    if not for snakes i would let WHISKERS into brush more. we are walking the trails around fenced in areas in clinton.
    i have him on check cord in case of rattler.
    but he wants to go inside the heavy brush, in fact he got stuck in one of the holes in fence,ha.

no pheasants for him,only grouse if i can get into them.actually he will not see pheasant for years, i have toby my lab for pheasant hunting .i want to try to keep POINT in whiskers if i can ,so like you said, ONLY WILD BIRD .
    i was hoping you could get me in touch with mike when he comes to kettle creek so i could maybe get day with his SM and wiskers.
    sad on accident.
    i use bell on whiskers around house which is great BUT i know he will head to road if he can to play with kids SO i dont let him off leash around kids or people walking the street near me.

friend of mine has 3 SM in philipsburg,pa.2 of his are 12/16.1 is 6 yrs old .

should have my CAMO wrangler upland pants on saturday.but until snakes are in,will be walking whiskers on river banks around my home and around the fenced areas with check cord.
    jim

How do the LL Bean compare to Orvis toughshell? I found one solid review on them, https://theuplandhunter.com/best-bru...rouse-hunting/ but really wonder if the LL bean is more durable. Plus the LL bean is quite a bit cheaper. thanks.

Eagle
    LL Bean will no longer offer lifetime guarantee on their products due to abuse of this policy.It will be a 1 year warranty.

Haven't worn the Orvis ones to compare to the lightweight Beans. Several years on from the starting point of this discussion, I'm still wearing those Bean pants for warm weather hunting. Either prairie grouse or grouse and woodcock or early season pheasants. I switch to faced jeans later in the season, or Goretex pants (also from Bean) if it's wet. Bean improved the lightweight brush pants, IMO, when they went to a stretch waist.