Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP!

Eagle

HELP!

I need help convincing my wife I NEED another dog.
    I'm 63 years old. I have a 4 YO lab and a 10 GSP. My GSP is going blind and this will be her last year hunting. She has been a great hunting dog.
    I woud like another pointing dog. WIFE of 41 years says no.
    This is the only thing I need to ask permission for. Cars and guns, no problem.
    Need advice on how to convince her!
    Please help.

Does the wife hunt ?
    If so, tell her that the new dog will be "hers".

Doc E Casey (RIP) HRCH HR UH Tucker HRCH HR UH Weezle

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc E View Post
    Does the wife hunt ?
    If so, tell her that the new dog will be "hers".

No, but she owns a lot of guns.
    She did go out with me hunting last week!!

Eagle
    Present this as a simple math problem.
    Next year will be your last year to enjoy life hunting over a pointing dog and you will only be 64, much too young to miss out on the pleasures of life.
    As you anticipate good health for at least 10-12 more years, a pup now will provide you enjoyment for much of the rest of your hunting life.
    This works well at your age.
    My wife remembered this convincing math and when I turned 72, it did not work as well.
    But, I prevailed, and we now have a two year old PITA Brit along with ten year old "Chipper".

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. Carlson View Post
    Present this as a simple math problem.
    Next year will be your last year to enjoy life hunting over a pointing dog and you will only be 64, much too young to miss out on the pleasures of life.
    As you anticipate good health for at least 10-12 more years, a pup now will provide you enjoyment for much of the rest of your hunting life.
    This works well at your age.
    My wife remembered this convincing math and when I turned 72, it did not work as well.
    But, I prevailed, and we now have a two year old PITA Brit along with ten year old "Chipper".
    Excellent!
    Does PITA stand for pain in the a$$?
    I have some PITA patients!
    Keep um coming please.

Eagle
    no, i would not get another dog.
    use other 2 on and off .
    after the GSP passes on get a pointer and get one already trained and like over a year old etc.

Eagle
    Yes on PITA.
    This week I have had both Brits out chasing pheasants, much enjoyment for all three of us.
    My wife occasionally mumbles something about how I'll die and she'll be stuck with two dogs, a closet full of shotguns and fly rods and a car that needs to get serviced 300 miles away ( MINI Cooper Roadster, but that's another discussion).
    As a doctor, I'm sure that you can appreciate the theory that you should enjoy life when you can.
    Plenty of opportunity to watch daytime TV later.

Eagle
    Go buy the dog and take it home. She can only tongue lash you so much and it only hurts if you listen to it.

If it is a pup you want, take it home and stick it in her arms. She won't be able to tongue lash the pup. They all are cuter than you.
    B.C.

Get another wife.

I think Keith has the right approach. Your wife surely realizes how much hunting means to you. None of us can count on infinite future days of hunting.

One of my horses is 21 years old. He is still doing well but I certainly hope to be riding horses longer than he can be ridden. At some point, I'll need a third horse. One that's retired and two to use, because one just isn't quite enough.

I would also make certain that in the day to day, all of the dog chores are yours. And if they are house dogs, that would include regular vacuuming and any needed mess clean up.