Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    First Class

BirdHunting Sites. What happened?

I've been lurking 2 or 3 of the major upland sites and they've appeared to have taken a dump lately. GunDog Forum has that absolutely awful and clueless "Ezzy" drunk at the wheel so I guess we've all seen that coming. Where did the serious BirdChasers go at UplandJournal? There used to be some BadAss hunters there and I always marveled at their trip reports and pictorials of the US West. Now it seems all that's left are poets who didn't know it and some real lame pics of dogs on check cords. It seems that you can only have a thread with barely more than 5 posts until the moderator shows up telling all to watch it.I know that the Admin there took some heat protecting that member who got busted with the obsessive over limit in Montana last fall, plus always begging for money with threats of limiting posting privileges didn't help any. I'm sure most of those die hard BirdChasers didn't just poof and disappear , are they hiding at another forum somewhere?The ShootingSportsman board seems to be holding its own and doesn't seem to change much.Norm St. Clair

What happened?....nothing, other than most of the questions and subjects have been covered ad nauseam and photo-posting can have good days and bad.
    The nature of the beast.

One does see the same few folks pop up on various boards with a big ladle, and an axe to grind....that stays the same as well.
    Last edited by thornton; March 26th, 2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: one seldom grinds a ladle
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Eagle
    Quebec Grouser,
    A lot of us serious bird hunters have always been right here on the SSBB, no doubt we have aged, some have passed away, and some quit participation on all the forums all together. The lack of respect thru out the forums is pretty telling, many of the professionals even here on the SSBB no longer participate. There are times when I am to busy to participate myself, however I try to participate as much as I can. I have thanked Larry Brown more than once for hanging in here on the SSBB, no matter how he is insulted. I draw my share of fire also, however there is no way any of these insults can effect me professionally. The sad reality of the insults and lack of respect is the way it has effected the SSBB. At one time when Ralph 1st started the SSBB, he had some of the most Professional Gun Writers, Grouse/Woodcock Biologists, Gun Dog Trainers and professional Guides, along with many of the most experienced RGS Bird hunters participating. However when the insults and disrespect continued, it hurt the SSBB badly, when a lot of these good professional people decided to quit participating. Knowing some of the people personally I have tried to bring them back to the SSBB, unfortunately it has been an up hill battle, because of what has happened in the past.

Stick around and add some good conversations, we still do have some good people here on the SSBB.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    There was a particular insightful gent that disappeared from many of the gun dog/hunting forums. I see he posts on Gun Dog Forum. Now that the hunting seasons are pretty well done for the year, there's less to post other than the occasional "what type of dog should I get" or the occasional "my dog's better than your's." I basically check in on three, sometimes four hunting sites. I think the political/social threads help keep some of the forums going until hunting season comes around.
    "God and Soldier we adore, In time of danger, not before.
    The danger passed and all things righted, God is forgotten and the Soldier slighted."
    Rudyard Kipling

You rush a miracle man, you get lousy miracles.

Eagle
    MN Tonester,
    The other thing that effected the SSBB was the passing of some of our (RGS) Grouse hunters. As an example we only have 2 of our original 10 man Potter County Grouse Group left alive. I am the only one of the group that still participates on the SSBB. The changing of era's effected the SSBB greatly also. Over the past 5 years we lost 9 knowledgable RGS members who participated here on the SSBB. The empty chairs around my big rock fire place definitely tells the story. Every once in a while the son's of some of these good men visit. Most all live and work out of state now, and hardly make it back to Grouse hunt. My brother Kurt and his boy along with several others are still avid Grouse hunters, but not like the men in our Viet Nam era happened to be.
    RGD/Dave

First Class
    I was stuck in an airport all day so had plenty of time to lurk the bird dog sites. Gun Dog Forum were still discussing issues from November of 2016 on the first page. It still looks like the idiot Ezzy was still polluting just about every thread with his obvious lack of knowledge.The Upland Journal forum isn't fairing much better. Looks like only about 6 to 8 of the same posters are keeping the conversation going and their control freak mod jumps on about every other thread barking threats of bannings and other posting privileges being taken away if posters get out of hand. What's interesting is that it looks like very few members are "contributing" with cash donations to keep the site running. Hmm, with a deranged internet hitler running amuck, wonder why?It's doubtful that Gun Dog Forum and Upland Journal will even be in existence by years end. I see that www.fieldtrialer.com also called it quits.

Quote Originally Posted by Quebec Grouser View Post
    I was stuck in an airport all day so had plenty of time to lurk the bird dog sites. Gun Dog Forum were still discussing issues from November of 2016 on the first page. It still looks like the idiot Ezzy was still polluting just about every thread with his obvious lack of knowledge.The Upland Journal forum isn't fairing much better. Looks like only about 6 to 8 of the same posters are keeping the conversation going and their control freak mod jumps on about every other thread barking threats of bannings and other posting privileges being taken away if posters get out of hand. What's interesting is that it looks like very few members are "contributing" with cash donations to keep the site running. Hmm, with a deranged internet hitler running amuck, wonder why?It's doubtful that Gun Dog Forum and Upland Journal will even be in existence by years end. I see that www.fieldtrialer.com also called it quits.
    Well, I just have to ask; how often have you contributed a post or a buck to UJ, or here? And oh by the way hows about a couple of photos of your Quebecia haunts??? ;~)
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    Well, as RGD points out many who use to contribute to this board have passed. Some just gave up because most subject matter has been talked about time and time again. I don't contribute much because same old subject and same old arguments. Many of us have just plain given up hunting, to old and too many health problems.

We've had some great discussion about dog training, breeding and handling but alas not many train dogs let alone field trial. I would have to look up the data but hunting licenses have decreased easily over 50% in Nebraska over the last fifteen - twenty years along with the pheasant population.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Facebook killed bird hunting websites.
    It sucks up all the traffic.

Webmaster's have to respond in kind to keep what they have. ie. If heavy moderation keeps visitors visiting, that's what needs to be done.

Facebook broke the chain between older participants, and the younger, limited experience audience.
    So, you don't get a continuous recycling of topics as was common pre-FB.
    The newbies get it all there first.

Narrow focus, niche, web chat rooms are dinosaurs.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Eagle
    Greg T,
    IMO most were on the way down before FB was ever invented, era change, lack of supervision and loss of good participants, has severely effected the sports forums.

RGD/Dave