Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wizards need not apply

Woodcock have been known hereabouts for a few weeks.
    My wife can often hear them as they nightly twitter aloft....I, not so much.
    I rely on recognizing the changing areas and cover they often utilize.

Which makes the point that woodcock cover can be difficult to define....as it may be thick or, not.
    To all eyes and measures, equal covers can hold birds or, not.
    Perhaps, one could best analyze from the 50'-ish woodcock migration height to help understand where appeal resides and what makes them drop in.
    Or, take a soil survey.
    Or, call in the wizards.

Actually tho, some things are better off when only marveled at and appreciated.....without searching for understanding.
    Sometimes, splash and a still bell is enough.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

The singing grounds males use in the spring are generally pretty open fields. Places you'd never expect to find them when you're hunting them in the fall. But woods adjacent to those fields are good bets for finding local doodles come hunting season.

Eagle
    Gentlemen,
    Soggy bottom land with Autumn Olive, Cherry and Hemlock Trees scattered along a winding Creek, weaving it's way thru those bottoms, all makes for incredible Woodcock cover. As a bonus you might just take home a couple of beautiful Wood Ducks. This particular Woodcock cover exists along West Branch, and also holds some of God's wildest Ruffed Grouse. We call it God's country cause it is.

RGD/Dave

Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

For those of us not living in God's country, we have to get by as best we can.

Spring is always welcome after a rough winter. No woodcock around here,,,oh well. We do have paired huns and sharptails to work a dog on. Also open country where having a nice horse under you can make the horizon perhaps reachable.

Loping a horse up and over hill and seeing your dog on point a long par five away, standing proudly, nose into the breeze, makes for a pleasant memory. It is a special partnership of horse, man and dog. Each has gifts the other lacks. Each shares those gifts freely with the other.

The dog is the star of the drama. The success or failure is nearly all on the dog. If dishonest on birds, its gifts of range and desire are wasted. If lacking in desire to reach for where the next bird might be, the horse's gifts are wasted.

The horse is the unsung hero. Their gift of speed, strength and stamina freely shared with the rider, elevate the handler to being more gifted than the dog physically. Now the dog can use all of its gift of speed and range because its handler can easily match them.

The human is in charge but allows his partners do do their part without undue interference. You can't continually hack on a dog and have a dog that hunts happily and freely. You can't stay in a horse's mouth and have a happy horse underneath you. It takes work over periods of time to have each partner understand what is needed and expected.

For myself, working with both dog and horse simultaneously in a harmonious effort to hunt is very primal. Both dogs and horses have been with humans for millennia. It feels right to have a horse working under you and a dog searching in front of you.

Perhaps not God's country, but it will do.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Eagle
    Dave Noell,
    It's God Country also, just a different part! Especially Montana, I left part of my heart there long ago.

RGD/Dave

Wizards...irregardless.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    Wizards...irregardless.
    Wizards, indeed. The bond between man and dog runs deep. Deeper yet when a hunt is shared. It is really what we both are ingrained to do.

The bond to animals, all animals, should run deep. We share the planet with them, not always well.

Witnessing the drama between dog and bird is forever young and new, yet eons old all at the same time. Let's hope the world always has a place for hunting dogs.

It does feel good to see winter giving way to spring.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Noell View Post
    For those of us not living in God's country, we have to get by as best we can.

Spring is always welcome after a rough winter. No woodcock around here,,,oh well. We do have paired huns and sharptails to work a dog on. Also open country where having a nice horse under you can make the horizon perhaps reachable.

Loping a horse up and over hill and seeing your dog on point a long par five away, standing proudly, nose into the breeze, makes for a pleasant memory. It is a special partnership of horse, man and dog. Each has gifts the other lacks. Each shares those gifts freely with the other.

The dog is the star of the drama. The success or failure is nearly all on the dog. If dishonest on birds, its gifts of range and desire are wasted. If lacking in desire to reach for where the next bird might be, the horse's gifts are wasted.

The horse is the unsung hero. Their gift of speed, strength and stamina freely shared with the rider, elevate the handler to being more gifted than the dog physically. Now the dog can use all of its gift of speed and range because its handler can easily match them.

The human is in charge but allows his partners do do their part without undue interference. You can't continually hack on a dog and have a dog that hunts happily and freely. You can't stay in a horse's mouth and have a happy horse underneath you. It takes work over periods of time to have each partner understand what is needed and expected.

For myself, working with both dog and horse simultaneously in a harmonious effort to hunt is very primal. Both dogs and horses have been with humans for millennia. It feels right to have a horse working under you and a dog searching in front of you..
    Well said, well done......
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    Gnomes ride on woodcock in the night while wizards only wish they could.

Eagle
    dam16sxs,
    You are good sir!
    RGD/Dave