Eagle

Trax Maps - Any Good?

Hi all, anyone use the Trax maps from Kirsch's outdoors? If so, any good, any problems worth buying?

http://www.koutdoorproducts.com/

Thanks!

Greg

Eagle
    gjw,

I am a big proponent of developing my own Grouse Coverts, Deer Trails and Turkey haunts, along with Quail Covey and Pheasant locations. Purchase and use some Topo maps, develop and map out your own hunting locations, do not use a GPS to mark their locations. Get some advise from the Foresters and local logging crews. This is all part of hunting and learning the great outdoors. IMO people selling this kind of hunting information are unethical, and should not be in business. I view people who tell me that they do not have the time to develop their own hunting locations as unethical sportsman.

If this is what you mean by Trax Maps, I would not purchase any of them.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Greg, I have no experience with the company you reference, but have had a competitors chip for my GPS and Garmin Astro for a number of years.

I would think they do much the same thing. They are a great tool for any hunter. You can know with great certainty, where you are. They identify public and private lands, and in my chip's case, at least, the names of owners of nearly all private lands.

They are money well spent in my experience.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Eagle
    Greg,
    As Dave points out if used for identifying public and private land it could be a good tool. However invading an owners privacy by posting identity ownership information, is definitely not good. To gather and sell private information on an American citizen without that persons permission, is against the law in most every state in the union. Public information was to be used for court and legal transactions. Unfortunately administrative personnel in County Court Houses now without permission, sell information not intended for actual public consumption, excepting in legal transactions. This is the kind private information dissemination that crosses the line with this new technology. These companies purchase your private information and sell it, without your permission and today nothing ever seems to be done about it.

I suggest you purchase a Back Tracker if you do not want to use a compass for exacting location information.

RGD/Dave
    Last edited by Ryman Gun Dog; April 16th, 2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Who owns every piece of private land is a matter of public record, if for no other reason than the tax rolls. Any one can go to a county courthouse and determine who owns what. All these chip makers have done is do the legwork and then try to sell it for a price. You can't get any more capitalistic than that. These companies saw a need for a product and brought one to the market.

Between these sort of chips and google earth,,, a hunter can do a lot of scouting right at his computer. I have found some big game spots exactly this way.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Rgd is likely speaking to his long held dislike for the well-known maps created by those forester folks which indicate, but may not be limited to.... timber species, timber cuts and timber age classes. All of which can lead hunters to surmising the possibility of areas appealing to either ruffed grouse or woodcock....or are only empty zones of blank rock.
    I believe those maps are available in chip form or simple hard copies.

Rgd dislikes shortcuts...I partially would agree but the maps are indeed only a shortcut, not an enabler beyond the truck and would require an understanding of habitat change, habitat targeting and more involved than grab&go.
    The maps are little more than a wider and costlier form of the RGS/state Grouse Areas and Grouse Walks which also attract a certain segment of the birdhunting group.
    I looked at one of the Grouse Areas in the Yoop....truly beautiful and photo-op worthy it was, and as far from the areas I prefer for dem birds as one can almost get.
    Shorcuts are not always the route to take for success.

GPS chips indicating topographic features, roads, state or federal property boundaries, WIHA info and so on are quite common....quality, degree of information shown or personal application value likely varies.
    I never heard of the OP's chip but...that means nothing.

Property ownership info and contact points are seldom a secret other than when owned by an entity known only by a name such as...FluhartyCollective.
    The Internet simply changes courthouse search skills into an at-home event......mapper-folk are simply making some coin.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Eagle
    Each hunter's style is his own.

In my state all land ownership is absolutely public.

This is also absolutely true in PA, as any simple search will tell anyone.

Eagle
    Plat books have been around for as long as I can remember. Today we have electronic versions.

Eagle
    Some places do.

In our small community, you can walk right in and look at the maps, and get a copy.