Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Eagle

Tom Huggler's back page article in the SSM - Thanks for the memory reminder Tom!

Gentlemen,
    The back page article in the SSM in the May/Jun issue written by Tom Huggler is a good one in deed.
    Titled "Getting over, Getting Through" the article deals with loosing a one of a kind companion hunting dogs.

If you have ever lost a trusted hunting partner, the article gives some insight as to the different way men handle this particular grief. Tom did an excellent job explaining how others and myself have dealt with this kind of a loss. Even more important are the memories he brings back to life, because of the way the article is written. A SSM article well worth reading.

Thanks Tom and the Collars, with the name tags, still hang on my Log Cabin Porch also.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    we country folk have a saying "as long as it doesnt come in the house".

i've owned at least 15 or more dogs in my lifetime. i thought a lot of all of them and all but one is buried in the pasture behind the house. as well as several horses.

i used to like Huggler, but the last time i saw him was at an RGS meeting. he spoke about hunting grouse in Russia, no dog, just, as he put it, "shoot them in the face as they are setting on a limb." pretty well disgusted me.

Eagle
    pathfinder 1984,

Sounds like Tom has slipped a might, this is the 2nd time now that have I heard about this comment at the RGS meeting. I wanted not to believe it.

RGD/Dave
    Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.

Eagle
    When in Rome do as the Romans do... or don't do it at all.

He apparently had a choice, like we all do. I'm guessing he didn't want to insult his hosts.
    Last edited by dam16sxs; April 25th, 2017 at 06:10 PM.

Well . . . that's the way we do it with turkeys. Different birds are hunted in different ways. I've taught the ethics class in the Iowa Hunter Safety course, and it always results in an interesting discussion when I talk about "fair chase"--and how you want to shoot a turkey on the ground, not in the air; but a pheasant in the air, not on the ground.

I've hunted with Tom a bunch of times, and I can assure you he's not going to shoot a ruffed grouse out of a tree, nor ground swat a pheasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Well . . . that's the way we do it with turkeys. Different birds are hunted in different ways. I've taught the ethics class in the Iowa Hunter Safety course, and it always results in an interesting discussion when I talk about "fair chase"--and how you want to shoot a turkey on the ground, not in the air; but a pheasant in the air, not on the ground.

I've hunted with Tom a bunch of times, and I can assure you he's not going to shoot a ruffed grouse out of a tree, nor ground swat a pheasant.
    I suppose a few folks will shoot a turkey off a limb but hopefully....few is indeed the number and legal certainly is an enabler.
    Of course, there is turkey hunting and turkey shooting, turkey hunters and turkey shooters.
    The ethics involved with not making a practice of wingshooting turkeys would involve the likelihood of wounding a truly large bird....along with the normal absence of dogs re wounded game, save any state where dogs are indeed allowed in hunting wild turkeys.
    And then, dogs are flock busters in that case and the turkeys, often jakes, are then called back in.....seldom called back in to be shot off a limb.

Huggler made some large errors in a column on GBE once.
    The magazine felt his research was exhaustive and correct when the mistakes were noted.
    Excusists happen.
    I tossed a couple of Tom Huggler books.
    That was a mistake.
    I should have tried to sell them.
    If that proved impossible then I could have thrown them away.
    Never read of his Russia trip.
    Never will.
    So, I wonder ifin the '"grouse" he shot in the face were capercaillie?
    Rifling those is an accepted practice involving sneak and shoot....odd but it is a big world.
    Last edited by thornton; April 25th, 2017 at 09:41 AM.
    Do not forget pumpkin!

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder 1984 View Post
    we country folk have a saying "as long as it doesnt come in the house".

i've owned at least 15 or more dogs in my lifetime. i thought a lot of all of them and all but one is buried in the pasture behind the house. as well as several horses.

i used to like Huggler, but the last time i saw him was at an RGS meeting. he spoke about hunting grouse in Russia, no dog, just, as he put it, "shoot them in the face as they are setting on a limb." pretty well disgusted me.

That's how they hunt in Russia. Some times with a Cow Board or Blind, walk up to the birds a shoot them, they're looking for meat, not sport....
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    i was at the meeting. i've been acquainted with Huggler off and on for some time. he only lives about 15 miles away. He's changed a lot since he wrote 'Fall of Woodcock".

as far as comparing turkey hunting with grouse hunting???? i've never heard of anyone hunting turkeys with a pointing dog and shooting them on the wing. turkeys are more like feathered big game.

As Thornton pointed out above, capercaillie--I think that may have been the species Tom was hunting in Russia--are hunted that way.

I've known Tom since we were both state editors of Fins & Feathers--Tom the Michigan editor and me, Iowa editor. First hunted with him in 1979 (Iowa pheasants). Since then several times for pheasants (and quail) in Iowa, pheasants in SD, grouse and woodcock in the UP. Haven't hunted with him as much since "Fall of Woodcock", which I liked a lot. But can't say I noticed much change in recent years.

Eagle
    I've only shot one Turkey, and she was a-wing. Was driving past my property with a friend and we spotted a small flock. I dropped John off on the north end and swung around to try to push them to him. They'd disappeared in some taller grass and I'd walked right in amongst the party--.003" of choke and nr. 4 shot were plenty for a close crossing shot, all I had at the time that seemed suitable. Sporting enough, I think.
    Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."