Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Quail Video

Thornton, some bird dogs can distinguish between wild and released birds. Don't know how they do it. Different diet = different scent? But I had a little pointer bitch that had a ton of style on wild birds. She'd lock up like the proverbial statue. Released birds . . . and this was true of quail, pheasants, and chukar (and she never hunted wild chukar) . . . she'd point them but with almost no intensity. Tail would twitch. If you took too long getting to a point, she'd look over her shoulder like "What's taking you so long?" Some might say too much exposure to preserve birds, but she didn't see all that many. Certainly not in comparison to her sire, who'd frequently been used as a guide dog on large bag preserve hunts. And Jake was every bit as intense on a planted bird as on a wild one. Just one of those odd things you see with bird dogs.

I do have to add that I never ran Rebel on real good, early release preserve quail. Don't know whether that might have made a difference.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Brown View Post
    Thornton, some bird dogs can distinguish between wild and released birds. Don't know how they do it.....
    I would think so, of course.....sorta, kinda the same way dogs can get tired of planted pigeons...their attitude can indicate what is in front of them.
    My Gordon pup acted differently less than an hour ago when pointing a little groundhog that snuck into the barn.

I still maintain that birddogs are less judgmental than we when it comes to doing what they do....odds on.
    I doubt they go back in the kennel and rave or rant about whatever......I suspect they rest up and hope for another day where paws down means the world spins well.

Just left our setter with a nearby trainer while we move to Wisconsin. I was remembering when he worked with the last of my shorthairs that went back to old Heidi, my first shorthair. Dasher tired of planted pigeons pretty quickly. Yet she's a dog that would point released birds, and I couldn't see any difference from how she acted on wild ones.

She did have one rather unique trait. When she'd catch scent all of a sudden and realize she was very close to a bird, she'd go flat on her belly. But still on point. Little stub tail sticking up. I think she was trying to convey how close she got, and that she was trying her darnedest not to flush the bird.

Bird dogs are fascinating critters.

Eagle
    Wisconsin: I always wanted to fish for Muskellunge. Never got the opportunity... Remember as a boy reading in Field & Stream the grand sport fishing for Muskie.

One thing about Quail: They always seem to back a come back IF habitat permits.
    In my salad days we hunted two sections with fifteen coveys located on the grounds. That's about the time I had the opportunity to watch big time pointers work, sold me on big running pointers and setters the rest of my shooting days. I did have a bush hog, she was one bird finding machine on upland birds. Never did like to retrieve, she was a beauty. Thanks for the memories.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Eagle
    One of the nice things about quail they all hide out from noon to about 2 o' clock. So if I wasn't entertaining anyone I'd lay back and eat a sandwich or two during that off period and loaf with the dogs, maybe even try my luck fishing. There would be no Muskie in those stock tanks. Sometimes I would wonder if there were any fish. If there was a nearby pond the dogs would go for a swim and scare away all the fish.

Bandit was a terrible sandwich thief and usually got half a sandwich before I could move. When he got old and not quick enough to swipe my sandwich, he would stand in front of me and bark in my face until I gave him half.
    I've done few of the things I said I'd do and about all of the things I said I wouldn't

One area of Wis that impressed me was the area around Black River. I didn't get a chance to hunt there but it sure looked like great habitat for Grouse.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    Gentlemen,
    Larry is correct about some dogs tiering of pen raised planted birds. Ripper my male Gordon was an incredible wild bird dog, especially Grouse. However he would walk up and urinate on a planted Quail or Chukar in a heart beat. I do believe it was a combination of the medicated feed smell and a pressured situation from a heavy handed trainer, prior to my ownership, that made him act as he did toward pen raised planed birds.

On the other hand Pine Creek Daisy my Ryman Setter points any kind of game bird God created, no matter it's location.
    Pine Creek Penny our Gordon female does soft point the planted birds on occasion, but never ever moves.

Sampson our incredible Small Munsterlander male soft pointed planted birds, but never moved unless released. On a lunch break one time as we ate on the tail of my old Tahoe, he went on point. Sam stood point for about 20 minutes as we ate lunch, I released him to flush, he simply picked up the little Quail and set it down in front of us unharmed, reached over and drank 1/2 of my coffee and sat down between me and my best friend. The Quail dried itself off and flew back into the field. Sampson and I hunted together for over 14 years, we respected each others ways and he pointed every fur and feather game creature he ever got near. He set up my only Scotch Grouse true double. Under the snow, up in the trees, under vehicles, even a Pheasant setting on a old 460 International Tractor seat, he produced it all. His wild Turkey hunting was beyond human understanding, he snuck up on them like the wolf he truly was, and pointed them like he did a Grouse. Pen raised or wild he adapted to what ever the situation happened to be. As part if a mixed brace working with Daisy or Penny I actually felt sorry for our Grouse at times, the dog work was that good.

Depending on the dog wild or Pen raised does matter.

RGD/Dave

Penny our Gordon Grouse Dog - A master of her Trade.

Never worry about what others believe, walk in the way of the Lord.