Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump pulls out

Eagle

Trump pulls out

Paris Accord is bullsh+t and everyone knows it. Thank you Mr. President.
    JR
    Eagle Scout Dad x 2

Eagle
    While the Paris Climate accords may well be BS and an unfair deal for the US, pulling out creates a leadership vacuum.
    In world affairs, as in nature, a vacuum will be filled.
    While the US sits on the sidelines, look for China, Russia or Germany to step forward in our place.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. Carlson View Post
    While the Paris Climate accords may well be BS and an unfair deal for the US, pulling out creates a leadership vacuum.
    While the US sits on the sidelines, look for China, Russia or Germany to step forward in our place.
    Would you expand on this thought?

What "world affairs" leadership has the USA effectively demonstrated since the Korean War, using it as a timeline marker?

Why should the USA, or any other country, be charged with, be assigned, or assume the responsibility of being the leader in "world affairs?"

With China's governing pretty effectively, I'm told, being divided between two struggling groups - its military and political leadership; with Russia not knowing, it seems, how to do anything except tilt at the USA; with Germany struggling internally in a severe fashion; could you put your thoughts up as to how effectively each of your listed countries might demonstrate "world affairs" leadership?

If it helps in thinking about this - what is the need to have a "world affairs" leader in one country, given how vastly disparate countries are under strongly different basic governing styles?

How does a "world affairs" leader effectively accomplish and demonstrate its leadership in world that is riven with serious differences in ethical and moral codes?

In a world that has such vast chasms of many sorts between the various "haves" and "have nots," a world that is steadily drifting away from moral standards that have existed in the "civilized" countries since the Judeo-Christian age began, why do you feel the leaders and followers of the "new societies" that accept abortion, same-gender marriage, etc, as the norm, even care about a "world affairs" leader?

I'm much too old to be concerned with these questions, or other similar ones, or with trying to think of answers to such, but I would find it interesting to see your answers, or the answers of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith E. Carlson View Post
    That's fine with me. Let Russia, China and any other country bear the leadership role and also bankroll the program.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    Particularly let them "bankroll" their leadership.
    B.C.

Eagle
    Speaking of bankrolling...

Do any of you know how your elected Representative and Senators voted on the Paris Climate Agreement giving the former President the green light to bankroll our percent of this "program" to the tune of $2 billion a year w/ our tax dollars?
    Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

Eagle
    Yes, we do.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    Yes, we do.
    How'd they vote? Please share!

Because I wasn't aware that the previous Administration had put the Paris Agreement before the US Senate for a vote.
    Ever get the feeling that you've been cheated?

Eagle
    Well, you have caught me out. Based on how you worded your question, I accepted there had been a vote. If there was a vote, it's easy enough to check the record to see how they did vote.

If no vote was held, ...

Have you researched it?

I just researched it... From a L A Times story: "Since the Obama administration negotiated the global accord, some have suggested it should have been handled as a treaty and submitted to the Senate for ratification.Voting to stop the deal could have helped Republicans, who have the majority in Congress, score a political win at a time when they have racked up few major accomplishments, while also pressuring Democrats in red states where Trump remains popular.
    But the White House decided against that approach, and the strategy might not have produced such clear results."

So, no vote.
    Last edited by Moonshine; June 2nd, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
    a world that is steadily drifting away from moral standards that have existed in the "civilized" countries since the Judeo-Christian age began,
    I believe man is attempting to deny the existence of a higher power. Think of it. If humans can somehow convince themselves they are the higher power then no moral restraints exist and anything goes.