Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eagle
    What bird hunting books did Gorham Cross ever write besides Partridge Shortnin'?... and there's not a lot of grouse hunting stories in that one book either.

Thanks for the compliment, Dave! It was reading those writers of previous generations--like Evans and Bell and the others--that got me interested in trying it myself. Bell was another of the mostly dogless bird hunting writers. I grew up hunting pheasants dogless and can relate . . . but the world really changed when I got my first good pheasant dog! But when I wrote the first edition of my pheasant book, I thought that Bell's "Hunting the Long-Tailed Bird" was about the best one out there--except Steve Grooms' "Modern Pheasant Hunting". Grooms was my first editor and I hunted with him, so I was pretty sure he knew what he was talking about. Back then, he had a not terribly well-controlled springer that would scale a barbed wire fence. Only dog I've ever seen do that. I caught her doing it on camera and included a photo in my book. Got flak from a few readers who chastised Grooms for encouraging her to do it. He didn't. It was just something Brandy figured out on her own.

I think Tap included a few stories about "Grampa Grouse" in his books. One of his hunting partners, along with Spiller.

Eagle
    Bell's pheasant book is probably my favorite, don't think many shotgun writers have near his rifle experience even if they're from states allowing rifles for deer. Some time back I was corresponding with him he sent me a copy of his "Even the Last Six". That's another book I will keep, don't have anything like it.
    Bore, n. ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast."