Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by pathfinder 1984 View Post
    to me, reloading is sort of like tying your own flies. i enjoy reloading almost as much as i do the shooting. as far as the cost savings, i doubt that you save much money unless you buy your components in large quantities.

i do believe that serious reloaders do have a better understanding of ballistics than those who have never reloaded.

Ditto: If I have the time in the winter months, it is rather relaxing and one must focus your mind at the task at hand.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

Quote Originally Posted by thornton View Post
    I did not find reloading .410s shotshells to involve any fun, even when considering any cost savings involved in the process.
    I hear you.
    I liken it to popping popcorn 1 kernel at a time.
    "Chemists make good solutions"

Eagle
    It doesn't have to be "fun" to be fruitful. Many jobs we do that are beneficial and fruitful may not be "fun".

Cost savings are far from being the only, or even the most important, reason for reloading. Certainly not for me. I reload .410s because I want loads that cannot be bought ....... at any price. 3" loads, for example, with true nickel plated shot, hard nickel plated shot. Where can those loads be bought?

There is only one place that I know of in the US that offers that shot for sale, and they are not even made in the US.

SRH

Eagle
    Naturally, fruitful is good.

I tried some BP Italian nickel #5s and found it soft...still, it worked, as stuff often does.

Most here agree that specialty loads are a wonderful reason to reload....be they needed or just wanted.
    I wanted spreaders and tried various methods to obtain spread ranging from primers to crimp.
    What I never found tho was the spreader loading process to be as fiddly as loading 410s.

Fiddly can be fun but I never found it so in the case, pun intended, of reloading the 410 shotshell.
    Better "fun" beckoned, for me.
    That others choose fruitful over fun would appear a given....and would be understandable.
    If either would make the .410 components larger...it might be a different story.

My other kick was picking 410s out of tall-ish grass.....going to a Citori helped but other reality remained the same.
    Great gauge for some purposes and grins but....I do not miss any that I owned.

Eagle
    Curious: I'm thinking about loading 12 gauge 1 ounce or 1 1/8 loads. I'm looking for 1310 or 1400 fps.

Any recommendations ?????? I've noticed that many master shooters are using 1300 - 1400fps. For sure FITAC.
    "Education is the ability to listen to almost anything without losing your temper."

As noted above, if you're careful when and where you buy, you won't save a lot of money reloading 12's or 20's--assuming you use new (vs reclaimed) shot. I do it, mainly because I've owned enough guns that require lower pressure than you can get with standard American shotshells. Doesn't take that long, and is a relaxing activity.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. View Post
    I never really thought shooting was so price sensitive......I hope that in retirement I never feel that way.
    Dad bought our first press from Herters around '64. I was about 10. Have enjoyed loading my own ever since. Hope retirement doesn't change that. Will find out soon enough - tomorrow is my last work day.

Time is valuable, sure. Guess I'm more recoil-sensitive than time-sensitive. We load and shoot 3/4 and 7/8 oz 12s, 3/4 and 7/8 oz 16s, 5/8 and 3/4 oz 20s. Factory options range from thin to none. Imagine we'd buy "new" Herters price point factory 12s if we couldn't load our weenies.

As noted, savings on .410 and the 28 drive the equation toward rolling your own. We shoot .410 and some 28, so load them. Also as noted, loading .410 is not for the inattentive. With experience one can minimize .410 press pitfalls.

Eagle
    We started shooting Beretta A400. What difference in recoil. Before I mostly shot 3/4 ounce loads. Now 1 1/8 at 1400fps is sweet enough. Those automatics reduce recoil substantially. Have a great recoil pad and just fun to shoot.

Will load couple thousand 28's this winter, cold ugly days, nice and warm in the shop listening to 60's sounds.

I do get into Frank Sinatra's early sounds....

Eagle
    I still reload. Seldom shoot 12 gauge anymore, but I have several 16's and a bunch of 20s and enjoy developing loads for specific guns and applications... but I buy a lot of cartridges by the flat.
    C Man
    My Blog: Living with Bird dogs
    Life is short
    Quit your job
    Turn off your TV
    Go outside and play.