Eagle

America's Cup...for those who are interested...

New Zealand vs Sweden tomorrow, Tuesday, June 13, am NZ time.

NZ leads 4 - 2, can take it all in the trials tomorrow.

Cup Finals begin next Sunday, NBC, 1:00PM ETime.

I'll try catch at least some of it. Many years ago, a friend took me along on his hobie cat. It was a blast, I had no idea how fast you could go.
    Give me a dog that will run and a horse that will walk

Hasn't it become more of a testament to technological advancements rather than actual yatchmanship? I mean whoever invests the most money into the latest technological advancements generally wins.
    TOLERANCE is the virtue of a man without convictions.

Eagle
    When the Kansas City Yacht Club is a contender, I will become excited in event.

By the bye, Turner does not have a face for a cigar.

Eagle
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Horse 7/3 View Post
    Hasn't it become more of a testament to technological advancements rather than actual yatchmanship? I mean whoever invests the most money into the latest technological advancements generally wins.
    There have been huge technological advances, yes. But since all competitors have basically the same access to new materials, it still comes down to hull and sail design and the sailing skills of the crews and ingenuity of the entire team.

For example, in the immediate past race, the highly experienced Australian skipper helmsman of the Swedish yacht fell off the yacht into the waters when jumping from one hull to the other.

Sweden made another error, in tactics, but recovered to losing by only one second.

These races are very expensive but it does not come down simply to which syndicate spends the most money, anymore than it does in any other sport.

It's still the Indian rather than the bow and arrow.

One of the greatest America's Cup sailors, Buddy Melges, is also a first-rate duck hunter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN5j0zlek3M

Eagle
    My wife and I have been interested watchers of the America's Cup for years. We are old school and wish they were still sailing boats that looked like boats. That being said, these current "boats" are tremendously interesting to watch. They can go two to three times faster than the wind speed. In a 15 knot wind they are racing along at 40 knots. At close crossing tacks they are closing at close to 90 mph. Its amazing racing and definitely not your father's America's Cup.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.

Eagle
    Huge numbers of fans will agree with your sentiments.

Just like a 767 isn't the same as a Constellation!

I've had a ride on one of the old Cup challenger trials boats; even held the helm briefly!

Toured Endeavor in Antigua, again in Penobscot Bay. Gorgeous.

Eagle
    I have seen and touched a former America's Cup boat. Funny thing is that it sits (or sat) outside the Gander Mountain in Wichita, KS. Bill Koch raced the boat several series back. He lives in Wichita and mounted the boat outside the store. Funny to see it there, but I wish I could sail on one just once.
    Some places remain unknown because no one has ever gone there. Others remain so because no one has ever come back.